Butternut HF9V vs Gap Challenger

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K9UDX, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. NY7Q

NY7Q Guest

verticals

I have both. I like the challenger better. xmits better and receives much better. easy to install. rugged.

2. W9LVM

W9LVM Ham Member QRZ Page

Butternut all the way!

Have the Butternut right now and it beats the Gap I had by a mile! Would never use a Gap again!:)

3. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless you erect both, and a/b with a switch, I don't know if you will ever know for sure.

At the old QTH, I had a tribander that most of the time would beat the R7000 vertical, but not always. I also had the HF-2V 30' vertical up, and it really wasn't much different on 40 then the R-7000. On 80 and 40 with closer stations, the horizontal doublet worked better.

I would think that you choice should be on quality of construction, and how the antenna looks to the XYL. :)

Either is going to work well as a vertical. Any difference will amount to a fraction of an s-unit. Marketing is great, but it doesn't change the laws of physics. You are not going to get a huge difference with either, if the installation is correct. I realize that GAP advertises that the challenger is 1 s-unit over a 40M vertical, but I just don't buy it. That is 6DB, and goes a bit against all the antenna theory I learned. If that CQ magazine test did see a 6DB difference, then the 1/4 wave 40M vertical had a ground plane problem. Magic? Hardly.

What I like about the R-7000, is that it works well without any ground radials.

Either will be fine. Or if you have room, put up a Carolina Windom. :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  4. KB6HRT

KB6HRT Ham Member QRZ Page

Butternut / Gap

I had a Gap Titan and have a R8 Cushcraft an had a R6000, there is no difference between the R6000 an the R8 except the R8 has 40 meters both receive signals were the same on A-B testing, which I can do easy. The GAP Titan worked almost as well as the R8 on 10 through 20 meter but was down a about 1 to 3db on 40 meter on most stations on receive. The Gap Titan was about 18 db down on 75 meters against a 102' G5RV, the R8 does not do 75 meters. On my testing I got the best results on the R8 an the R6000 ground mounting the antennas although Cushcraft recommends mounting the antennas at 18' to the base, which I did first but in direct comparison at 18' with the other ground mounted antenna the one on the ground outperformed the on at 18' in all cases except when using it to receive 11 meter ground wave which these two antennas are not made to do. I also tested an Hustler 4TB with radials at the same location and on 40 meters it was almost the same as the R8 on receive, did not elevate the Hustler 4TB. I concluded that from 20 meters up a vertical works great, an 30 on down through 160 meters I had the best results with wire antennas.
    Sincerely, Walter Bryant KB6HRT

5. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Talk to the GAP people. I did when HRO told me that same story.. The GAP I'm injterested inm (I think it's the Titon" is shipable vie UPS/ FedEX oreven USPS.

Lee
    NI7I

6. K3EL

K3EL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why a multiband vertical?

Ok, so first, I can't offer any sort of comparison between the two antennas you're asking about. However, I was interested that you mentioned that you'd

7. K9UDX

K9UDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm presently using a random wire with pretty good results. One of the options for another antenna is a second wire -- perhaps a Carolina Windom -- at right angles to the existing one. The challenge is to find the "right" trees. When they built the house, they removed most of the trees within fall distance of the house. Picture the house in the middle of a ~70-foot radius treeless circle. The paved driveway goes past two sides of the house and the shack is on one of those sides so routing the coax from a center-fed dipole requires some pondering.

If I go the Carolina Windom route, the dacron rope holding it up will be longer than the antenna itself.

8. N5TGL

N5TGL Ham Member QRZ Page

As other folks here have stated, you can't change the laws of physics. I would go the butternut route and radials because it simply makes sense in terms of how an antenna operates. Verticals can turn in some great DX because of the low angle of radiation. I've been working with a portable HF vertical here (Ohio) and I've worked 13 countries with a 8.5' vertical and 4 radials on the ground.

9. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Let me offer a piece of advise if you decide to go with the Challenger. They highly suggest you guy the top section of the antenna because of it's height. I didn't bother to do it because I didn't feel it was necessary. One day during a wind storm I hear a crash out in my back yard and the antenna laying on the ground. The antenna snapped clear off at the base of the antenna from the wind forcing it back and forth.

I also owned a Butternut HF6V and that was the best vertical I ever owned. As a matter of fact I am considering buying one right now.

Good luck

10. K3UD

K3UD Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.