Busted! by the CW Police

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Aug 11, 2017 at 2:50 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi guys. I just got a Youkits HB-1B and have been doing more CW as a result the past few days (much better receiver than the Icom 7200, more selective, too) so I'll see if I get any "naughty nooby" cards in the mail on that rig. I have had a huge response to CQs on the youkits rig so obviously power output is no handicap in the CW world.
    Although most OM CW ops are helpful as heck for a new CW op, I occasionally run into some who have gone to the Dark Side of ex-elmering, when I visit The Drooping Dipole (a ham bar near here). I choose to sit at a different table.
    Am really enjoying CW, slow as I am!
    I do intend to have a friend nearby tune me in and record me on the Icom, soon. I'm just having too much fun with the youkits rig right now to have done it. This is fun.

W5BIB likes this.
  2. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on the HB-1B. You'll have fun with it.

You can likely find a websdr station that can hear you on 40m and you can record your own signal from them, download it and listen to it at your convenience.

http://websdr.org/

KD8ZM likes this.
  3. VK2WP

VK2WP Subscriber QRZ Page

And don't forget the drift, one Ukrainian op had me adjusting the RIT every time he started sending. Your guess is as good as mine as to what he was using.

KD8ZM likes this.
  4. KD8ZM

VFO slightly more accurate than a Skud missile, perhaps? :)

VK2WP likes this.
  5. KD8ZM

Sounds intriguing, but I don't understand anything on their website! Thank you for sharing it though.

6. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

believe it or not, they're trying to do their 'job' . And they aren't the CW police. The CW Police gather at the transmit frequency of a juicy DX station working split. They see who can pounce the quickest by sending UP UP UP UP LID

WB5YUZ likes this.
  7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Brady , I hope you can work me some time on 80 or 40M, should be an easy path up here to southeast Michigan . I always slow down for new CW ops and try to set a good example.
    You will get a truthful report from me
    I have Been pounding Brass on the ham bands for 56 years and it's still fun ! Operating on or near the SKCC club frequencies. 3550, 7055, 7114 and 7120 are good spots.

KD8ZM likes this.
  8. KD8ZM

Thanks for the reply and the offer! I have been using complete honesty as a way to deal with the speed of more accomplished CW ops, by telling them that I am new to CW. Without exception, these more experienced ops are helpful, encouraging, and happy to QRS to my pathetically slow 10 WPM copy rate. I am very impressed with the attitude and helpfulness of CW ops in general. I also help myself out by turning down the RF output when CQ-ing so that anyone still able to hear me will probably have a good SNR, as scratchy, QSB CW is very difficult for me to copy at this stage. I am only crawling at this point, not walking and not running - there's no use pretending otherwise!

9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I once heard this:

stn1: UP UP UP
    stn2: STFU
    stn1: NO USTFU

I kid you not... jeesh, some kids parents...

VK2WP likes this.