Busted! by the CW Police

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Aug 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

oh brudder:rolleyes:

2. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've notice a lot of us who have had the distinction of receiving an OO card now have them displayed in our shacks. Why do you think that is?

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There was a time in my Novice days that I had more states confirmed with OO cards than with QSL cards :)
    ARC-5/VFO xmtr .

KL7KN, KC3BZJ, KD8ZM and 1 other person like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have six "good guy" cards from OOs.

I have no idea why. One was basically just a signal report from an OO in North Dakota, for a 160m QSO. That was my "confirmation" on 160m from ND at the time, I had never actually worked anyone there.

(I since have, this was some years ago.)

I've posted these here on QRZ.com before.

I never received an OO report for having chirps or clicks, but back in the day I definitely had them. My first transmitter was a homebrew 6V6 power oscillator, crystal controlled but with no buffering; ran probably 5-6W output (couldn't measure it) and I could hear the chirp in my own receiver. Never got an OO card for that, but then that was also 52 years ago.

Still work Russians on 20CW (and sometimes 40CW) who have amazing chirps; they're using WW2 surplus gear, often battery powered. They're all named Vlad.:p

VK2WP and KD8ZM like this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Grand Forks, perchance? There was a pretty notorious OO there. He was also known for his drunken harangues on 40m SSB.

KA9JLM likes this.
  6. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Caught an OO once calling a DX station on his transmit frequency when he was repeatedly saying" Listening up 5-10", he sent me a card for being out of bounds on 20, didn't realize he graded my extra exam two months earlier.

7. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty normal QRZ response - you "allegedly " chirp, naturally it is (not allegedly ) the OO fault and everybody is cheering since you are now member of the prestigious old boys OO cards collector group.

Reading "line voltage" won't tell you much, monitoring the DC power to your rig in "high 13 (?) " MAY indicate battery charger instead of solid DC power supply.
    Put a cope on the DC power and key your rig FULL power - is it steady on "high 13(?) "?
    (You are extra, right, so you know all about measuring voltage).

It would be nice to hear from you with updates.

8. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Makes me wonder just how many of today's OOs REALLY know a chirp and/or click when they hear one.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not CQ contest.

So a OO card is the best I can do. :oops:

N2SUB likes this.
  10. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 2 cards.....both were received for contacts made during contests (years apart). Same band, but one was CW and one was SSB. What's the multiplier for that?

It never dawned on my that they were both during contests. I'm wondering if a contest to OOs is like labor day weekend is to highway patrol?

KC3BZJ likes this.