"Buried" Coax

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W4MUF, Jun 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W2WDX

W2WDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You know ... I thought about that after I posted. So yes ... vermin proofing would be the best reason. Pesky critters!

See I live in the suburbs of Long Island, NY. The worst we get are racoons, who probably would dig them up just to piss me off.

AK5B and WA7PRC like this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Other good reasons for conduit are if you think you will add more feed lines or control cables in the future, or if there will be hard landscaping or plants above, or routine digging activity above like a garden, etc.

To keep rodents and debris out of the end of open conduit but allow easy access, I stuff in coarse stainless steel “wool” pot scrubbers available at any grocery store for a few bucks.

AK5B, KP4SX and WA7PRC like this.
  3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The Times Microwave DB (direct burial) cables add a silicone (?) waterproofing compound:

"LMRxxx-DB is identical to standard LMR plus has the advantage of being watertight. The addition of waterproofing compound in and around the foil/braid insures continuous reliable service should the jacket be inadvertently damaged during installation or in the future."

Otherwise, except for the center conductor stranding, the specifications are similar to BuryFlex and DXE400MAX. Specifically, in regard to the outer jacket material (polyethylene). If you don't have a breach of the jacket, the non-flooded cable will be fine.

AK5B and N0TZU like this.
  4. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, OK, but please remember that most gophers regard the floodant used in direct bury coax as a delicious after-dinner pudding. Those little guys enjoy a treat once in a while just like everyone else above ground!

N5AF likes this.
  5. WA7PRC

First, they have to breach the PE jacket (a bit more armor in the form of some kind of conduit helps). :)

6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I just cut a 3' slot, tuck burial rg213 in, then cut another 3' slot. tuck...cut...tuck...repeat. I ran 60+feet without yard or grass damage last year.

7. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Recent conversation overheard between two Jamaican Blue Mountain gophers (some of the toughest critters outside of Texas);

1st gopher; "So Forrest, whaddya t'ink about that conduit over at 6Y5XYZ's yahd?"

2nd gopher; "Conduit? Really, mon? You asking me about conduit, mon? Imon kyaannndoit anytime, no problem, mon! Ya kyaanndoit if you really want---jus' sharpen ya teeth a lickle more, mon, ha ha!"

(Moral: some gophers go crazy upon their first sniff of direct bury gel... conduit or no conduit)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    N5AF likes this.
  8. WA7PRC

Cute but, not much relation to reality. In my TELCO daze, most dig-ups were due to homosapiens.
    If there's concern about conduit, the user can switch to one of the metallic types (link)... EMT (Sch 5), IMC (Sch 10) or rigid (Sch 40).