"Buried" Coax

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W4MUF, Jun 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

A shovel or spade. They work well, in the hands of a teenager (until he knows everything). :p

2. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

I have plenty of shovels but I got the Garden Weasel because it is perfect for slitting the lawn, laying the coax and "resealing" almost with a trace. The way it is designed it stops at the same depth every time. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to make quick work of a coax slit... (and for $25 it's a lot better deal than that overpriced shovel someone else posted (are they serious? Only 19 left? Maybe they started out with 20 a long time ago)

3. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

Charles, is it true that you wear a top hat when you are putting down top soil?

KC8VWM likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is what Charles wears when he gardens.... no, it's TRUE! I've seen it!! :D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

[​IMG]

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

Naw, must be a different Charles---give VWM some respect, Dr.!

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

:D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

KC8VWM likes this.
  7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol. Hey thanks for having my back Jeff.

You have to admit that top hat photo is pretty funny though. :)

W7UUU likes this.
  8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I set about burying radials in my back yard, I quickly learned about "glacial till" soil (a fancy term for "lots of big rocks"). I nearly killed a gas engine-powered machine meant for the purpose:

I dragged a homebrew plow w/ yuuuge blade behind a neighbor's lawn tractor:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    But, it kept hopping over the bigger spud-sized rocks.

I finally rented a bigly chain trencher machine from the Home Despot. It got the job done but, pulled a lot of dirt (and big rocks) out of the ground. :-/

W7UUU likes this.
  9. W2WDX

W2WDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Running conduit or PVC is a waste of money if you are using Direct Burial rated cable. It really only offers mechanical protection from shovels and such. Most buried conduits eventually collect water anyway, so you need DB for both. Adding PVC or conduit is just an unnecessary added expense. DB cable can be buried for years in the soil with no ill effects. Of course, waterproofing the connections is the true issue that MUST be done properly.

AJ5J and KC8VWM like this.
  10. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like a great plan - unless you have a yard full of hungry pocket gophers that can and do chew on buried coaxial cable. They care not if it is direct burial. As a matter of fact, they LOVE direct burial! :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_pocket_gopher

The little suckers like roots and coax. Learned my lesson. Coax goes into PVC. Unfortunately we lost our outdoor barn kitty who kept the population manageable.