"Buried" Coax

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W4MUF, Jun 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What is that tool called?

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Mole Killer. o_O

AK5B likes this.
  3. KK4YIV

KK4YIV Ham Member QRZ Page

What is that tool called? I am trying to look them up to see if they are available locally.

4. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Garden Weasel.

N0TZU likes this.
  5. KN4CQB

KN4CQB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I lucked out. Just had an electric dog fence put in and the installer dug me a trench with his machine. Put in LMR 400

N0TZU and AK5B like this.
  6. KC0MIS

KC0MIS Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the drawbacks of direct bury is gophers. We have a surplus. That is why I put in 2" conduit with electric boxes on each end.

7. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just took the station down preparatory to a move to a new QTH. Had 3 runs of 9913 coax, a #4 copper wire as part of the single point ground system, an 8 wire rotator control cable and an 8 wire remote switch cable all buried 4 feet under ground inside conduit for nearly 15 years. Also through the conduit was a 3/8 inch paracord pull line. All pulled back through the conduit and appear to be in perfect shape--good enough to use them at the new QTH

N0TZU, AK5B and WA7PRC like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

They're certainly proud of their product o_O

Only 19 left - better order soon :)

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2018-6-14_18-18-50.png

AK5B likes this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

If I need to bury coax (and I do) I use the water blast from a garden hose or a pressure washer to cut a path into the soil. Easier on your back and works much faster than "digging."

Later followup by filling in the path with a bag of:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    W6KCS likes this.
  10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's NOT the same...

RG-213/U:
    Jacket: Non-contaminating PVC
    Shield: 95% braided copper
    Dielectric: Solid polyethylene
    Center conductor: 7-strand copper

BuryFlex:
    Jacket: Type III polyethylene
    Shield: 95% braided copper over aluminum foil
    Dielectric: gas-injected (foamed) polyethylene
    Center conductor: 19-strand copper

However, they're both 0.405" OD. On the BuryFlex cable, the PE jacket offers better resistance to moisture ingress. The aluminum foil shield offers 100% shielding. The foamed dielectric offers lower loss. The 19-strand center conductor takes repeated flexing better.

DX Engineering sells DXE400MAX, that appears to be identical to BuryFlex. Orders over $99 include ground shipping (at $0.95/ft, order ≥ 105 ft).

Sealant-lined heat shrink tubing. 3/4" w/ 3:1 shrink ratio works well on UHF males fed w/ 0.405" OD coax. The last time I bought it, I purchased a 4' length of thick-wall shrink tubing from McMaster-Carr (#7861K56, $19.10).