Burghardt Radio Repair

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KP3RF, Nov 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KP3RF

KP3RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi. I sent a Yaesu FT-900 to this repair shop on July 3, 2018 because it was out of lock. I sent this tranceiver to this company because Yaesu California no longer repair this radio.

They confirmed they received it . They say they have an 8 week turnaround time.

It is already November 1, 2018 and had no response from them

I've sent many emails to know the status with no response as well from them. They are supposed to quote for repair, but they haven't even quoted me for this repair.

Is there any government agency which regulatea this type of companies where I can file a claim against this repair shop ?

2. K9YLI

K9YLI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes thats slow... here comes the 'but'' I doubt if any ham repair site not part of a Mfg site has more than a couple employees. And they are likely super busy..Should they at least respond.. Yes,, but that takes time out of trouble repair.. Being in the maint business, I often thought I was with in minutes of finishing,, hours later still with in minutes.........
    I would tell the customers my magic wand was in the shop for repair.. or the bug is always in the last place you look.....!!!!!
    I don't think that 16 weeks is quite at the "call in the feds" time yet.
    The bands are dead anyhow..

3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have done bidness with Burghardt before and since the store closed. They do ok repair work but are notoriously slow and uncommunicative. Be patient, or here are some soft-line suggestions.

You've sent multiple emails. I also ass-u-me you left voicemail(s). If so, and if you're also a social media person, try now contacting Jim through his FaceBook page.

If that doesn't get results, call, explain the situation, and ask the Watertown PD nicely to do a non-emergency welfare check at the shop / address you shipped it to during business hours, or alternatively at the W0MJY QTH.

Give them your phone number to relay and ask for somebody to call back.

That stimulation might get some attention for you.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    K9ASE likes this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2463

Based on reviews, it appears Burghardt runs hot and cold on service and communications. Some hams have had success with filing complaints with state officials or with local police. shrug.

5. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We could start a BRRL sorta like the ARRL but with a "B"...

KA2RRK

6. KP3RF

KP3RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks guys for your comments!

7. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought my first HT from them 33 years ago, a used Alinco DJ120 that they checked out and found original box and packing.. They shipped it all the way to my PO Box in South Korea. Still have the radio and it still works. Give them a while linger.

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

9. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes but posting where it is easy and where it will do the least good is a ham mantra.

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Phones are easy to ignore too. Try calling it. I did this morning as soon as reading the OP. Got the voice-mail greeting that ends",,, preferably send an email". o_O