ad: UR5CDXcom-1

Bunches-of-Dits Call Sign Challenges in CW?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K4YWZ, Oct 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

My call is "K5DH", but it frequently gets mistaken for "K5DS" in rough band conditions, especially by DX stations. My name is "Dean", but in rough conditions, a lot of people copy "Dan". That "e" just disappears when signals aren't the best.

2. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

.- ..-. --... -..- -
    I send like crap so I get crap back.
    The variations are to numerous to mention.
    My spacing needs to get more consistent .
    Then there's my ear .
    I didn't copy my own call until I had heard it several times.
    that's the way it's supposed to sound???
    Still pretty hopeless at this point .
    A whole lot of work to do before I can actually operate in CW.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd be happy to work with you locally - we're plenty close to work ground wave. Put cell phones on speaker phone, and strike up a QSO together - we can talk via cell when things go awry. "No, that was an R not a K" - that sort of thing. I've done this with a couple other hams and would be happy to help out. Just PM me if you want to give it a go one evening.

Dave
    W7UUU

4. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Try using an electronic keyer and a set of paddles. Leave just a little space between each character and the person you're QSO'ing with will be sure to understand it.

5. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I do, I use a paddle, although I keep a keyboard handy for when my error rate hits what I consider to be "intolerable". To each their own, but while sending is a skill of its own, I enjoy "hearing" cw more than figuring out how to send it. YMMV.

6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's amazing what just one 'dit' can do !!

My friend 'John/NT9L' (old Navy buddy since 1964) works CW 99% of the time, but isn't as active that much now.

When I want to see if he's on/been on, I check the Reversebeacon.net. For a while during the past 5 or 6 months, NT9L was being spotted on 40m CW working all kinds of DX @ 35-40wpm !!! WTF?? I gave him a call on the phone & asked him if he'd moved & put up a 40m yagi & was running his amp. Nope !! :confused:

Combining our 'keen-analytical-minds',:rolleyes: (John was also a Morse intercept operator in the Navy) - WE finally figured-out that it was RT9L. Somehow the RBN stations were missing the very first 'dit' of his call-sign, or more than likely, his keying/transmitter wasn't producing that first dit clear enough for the RBN stations to pick-up on it !! (we deduced that it was the latter).

Amazing what a difference a 'dit' can make... especially at 35-40 wpm.

Steve / W5BIB

7. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

KF4ZGZ ..... 12 dits total.
    It's long, but I really like the cadence of the ZGZ at the end.

Matt

8. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Now you're doing ZGZ in your head! lol

Matt ;)

WR2E likes this.
  9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

funny how that works :D After over 56 years, I've grown accustomed to 'BIB.
    (gotcha back !) :p

Steve / W5BIB