Buildings

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by AA1OU, Sep 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AA1OU

AA1OU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I want to build a station for satellite work. I want to use a IC-9700 with an M2 LEO-Pack on a Yaesu G-5500 rotor. Unfortunately, the only place I can place the antenna has my house (wooden structure) to the east and my neighbors house (wooden) to the north and a single line of trees to the south. Will this work, or should I just give up and wait until retirement. Thanks all. de AA1OU

2. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the G-5500 computer controlled? I just don't remember as I haven't got similar. If not, suggest third-party controller to be connected to a PC for the antennas to be rotated with a software. The more automated station is the more attention you can pay to what you're copying.

You seem have a lot of unobscured sky above. Some people work sats from a balcony it a city and still have success.

Sat signals are weak. Hard to say.

No way! Work now as is possible, don't wait! ;)

3. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

well, I am just about in retirement... and it won't necessarily be better!

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

You have an excellent system right there!

I use an ERC-M to control the G5500 by computer.

https://www.schmidt-alba.de/eshop/index.php?cPath=1_6

Currently using gpredict, because I don't like the other programs very much.

Eventually you might consider adding a yagi for 23cm. I believe several satellites are active there.

5. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Question is... how tall are the houses? Single story or more? And how close? Shooting through the roof of a house at near horizon is not that big of a deal.
    sat antennas 2.JPG

Shooting through a house filled with electronics from zero to 45 degrees of arc is a different story. And nothing says you can't put them on top of a tall tripod or a short tower to over come it. If it were me, I'd be FAR more worried about being surrounded by trees! When leafed out, they will eat up uhf RF. I had an open field to my west and a clump of trees in the distance... I could tell when a far horizon skimming pass would go behind those trees in the summer. Not to say you can't overcome all this, but it's just things to consider. Post some pics of the view from the planned location, that will tell far more.

All that said, even if your location isn't 'prime' doesn't stop it from working and doesn't stop you from enjoying sats. I went the 'bag & handheld antenna' route as well as a station at home. (link to N4UFO/P page) Both have quirks and drawbacks, but both just as fun!

73 7 GL! Kevin N4UFO

6. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would go ahead. I put my rotor with antennas in an unused area close to the shack

upload_2021-9-10_19-37-18.png
    the 13ele 70cm yagi just misses the red maple and when I'm working Europe on AO-7 the array points at the tree trunk
    Pointing south or east, the ends of the antenna are 8' from the eves trough on the house
    Its not ideal but I'm only using about 20' of coax
    The house is brick and vinyl siding with metal eves trough and there are a couple birdies from some arduino/esp32s that I use but they dont really cause much interference

I would get setup and give it a go, dont wait

upload_2021-9-10_19-46-47.png the view from the shack
    and in case you were wondering,
    that plane was an AWAC doin a flyby at the London air show, thats the airport flight path from the south
    upload_2021-9-10_19-49-12.png

Plan is to put this on a 30' crankup/tilt over mast so I can do some weak signal on 2M again

7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

That will be some fun!

Any chance of getting the rig off the ground, on to the roof there?

8. K7WDO

K7WDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless you're setting up a tower in the middle of a midwest corn or soybean field where it's flat to the horizon in 360 degrees, obstructions are something of a fact of life and you just learn to roll with it. Unless they're really close to the antenna, you tend to just wind up with areas where you can't hear as well closer to the horizon than others due to obstructions.

Since we're going for antenna show and tell, I've got the big brother to the LEO pack (2MCP14 & 436CP30) on a 20 foot tower. I'm kind of midway down a hole so while the tower gets the antennas above my roofline, it's still below grade to the east, yet it has a good view to the west. Overall, it works rather well, but there are some spots where I need the satellite to get higher above the horizon to hear it than others. I just plan my passes accordingly.

K7WDO_antennas.jpg

But to answer the original question, hey, go for it! You won't know unless you try, right?

9. AA1OU

AA1OU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Are those available as a kit, or did you just get some other bar to connect then? Any thoughts on adding 23cm? Thanks!

10. K7WDO

K7WDO Ham Member QRZ Page

No kit, I just purchased the antennas individually along with an 8 foot fiberglass mast pipe for the horizontal run since the recommendation is to use something non-conductive when center mounting a circular antenna.
    At the time I put them up, I didn't have a radio capable of 23cm operation so I skipped that antenna. There's enough room up there that I could probably fit a 23cm antenna in there between the 70cm one and the elevation rotor. I know I've toyed with the idea of adding a M2 23CM35 yagi now that I have an IC-9700 in the mix that can do 23cm.