Building a Radar for the Ham Bands

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Jan 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

400 foot driveway is an easement through neighbors property. neighbor is not approachable about setting up a driveway sensor - these people are seriously disturbed. A radar would be useful as a heads up that someone has entered your 400 foot driveway, giving you time to unlock your doors or unchain your dogs, if necessary

WZ7U likes this.
  2. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

As for what I would use, resolution and range are inversely proportional. S band sees through rain, but where X band sees two boats S band sees one blob. IIRC, WW II radar started off pretty low and rapidly moved up to VHF and UHF frequencies and then magnetron radars for ships and aircraft.
    Speaking of radar, how hard would it be to make a VHF or UHF A-scope radar? No moving parts needed.
    http://www.radartutorial.eu/12.scopes/sc05.en.html
    [​IMG]

KK5JY likes this.
  3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Having spent many hours, sitting in dark corn fields doing SKYWARN, shrouded by heavy rain, I've often wished I had something portable enough to spot a nearby approaching tornado.

WZ7U likes this.
  4. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

It should be pointed out that the Chain Home RADAR system which served Great Britain in the second world war and after was designed to operate in the 20-50 MHz frequency range; however, operations were usually in the 12M wavelength band because it was erroneously believed that the approx 24 meter wingspan of the German Heinkel Bomber would better reflect the horizontally polarized 12 meter wavelength of the CH RADAR.

KK5JY likes this.
  5. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

doesn't a radar fall under the prohibition of broadcasting??? & didn't the ARRL have to get a waiver er sumpin for the code xmsns? (& they needed to get a waiver to use paid personnel to run the code practices...)

6. KA0GKT

Is the driveway paved? If it is rock or gravel covered trench in a loop under the driveway and stay within your easement.

Does the driveway ever touch your property? If so, put your sensor along the side where it will be within your uncontested property.

Use an outdoor dual technology motion detector; passive IR and Doppler RADAR.

7. KA0GKT

Check the allowed modulation section of each band plan. There are some where Pulse modulation is allowed.

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

reading this reminds me of the ea6b (ALQ-99) operator who "accidently" hit his master radiate switch and caused police switchboards to light up across most of California...

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page