Build your own DX Commander Multifan Vertical Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9FFF, Jul 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KO4CES

KO4CES Ham Member QRZ Page

Appears as though the "DX Commander" is a variation of a fan-vertical antenna offered in 1953 by the Radiotron Designer's Handbook. I feel that W9FFF provides ample citation in his presentation; and the significance of his contribution is found within his ability to 3D print. Additionally, his rendition offers 4 bands. Bravo! Mission accomplished!

ARRL's Mission Statement: To advance the art, science, and enjoyment of Amateur Radio!

KM5TX, N5SKT and M1WML like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Issue was title; not antenna type.

:)

AK5B and M1WML like this.
  3. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This thread needs its own doll ... that way people can point on the doll where the evil thread title touched them.

I'm done with this thread (and many of the people here).

W5VAX, WN1MB, KK9W and 6 others like this.
  4. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Every day thousands of Hams around the world disrespect one of the greatest antenna inventors of all time, yet not a single one of you complain. In fact, most everyone one of you do this repeatedly.

The Yagi was actually invented in 1926 by Shintaro Uda of Tohoku Imperial University, Japan, with a lesser role played by his colleague Hidetsugu Yagi who took the credit.

Reminds me of how Marphoney stole Tesla's designs and inventions, then claimed they were his, but I digress.

One should not even refer to it as a Yagi-Uda antenna as Yagi was just a "go for" and not the mastermind.

W5VAX, AK5B, WN1MB and 3 others like this.
  5. M0TNX

M0TNX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely spot on. I thought I could build one for less, without cutting massive corners, you can't.

W9FFF, M1WML, KM5TX and 2 others like this.
  6. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread - yikes

M1WML likes this.
  7. WU6R

WU6R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video - great job. Thank you for sharing your work.

W9FFF, M1WML and KM5TX like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. W9FFF did a fine video describing his STYLE antenna. And Cal puts out a fine product.

What's important is that we don't put Cal out of business because the term "DX Commander" falls into general use instead of being product- specific.

It HAPPENED with the hex-beam==> N1HXA invented it and others appropriated the name. It didn't matter if that was intentional or not: N1HXA then went out of business. So please: don't tell me this is a silly issue. If you honor and respect that initiative to deliver you high quality antennas, then don't use the 'naming' in a generic way.

I hope this settles what the 'issue' is.

Chip W1YW

AK5B, W9FFF, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Moxon is a two element Yagi-Uda with bent back ends-- all in a rectangular shape.

The Hex-beam is not a Moxon. It doesn't have the current distribution of a Moxon. It doesn't have the form factor of Moxon.

N1HXA held the trademark on 'Hex-Beam' (see serial # 75053250). He had no interest in having that product specific term--which he coined-- fall into the generic category. But so many people came out with what they called HEXBEAMS for sale, that his original product got lost in the noise, as he had so many unauthorized competitors--who used the name-- that it became too expensive to defend it in court (IMO).

And now you can't buy a hexbeam from the man who created it.

That is a problem. We can prevent that 'naming issue' from happening again, 'DX Commander' is a descriptor of a product that Cal sells. Period:)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    AK5B, M1WML and HA3FLT like this.
  10. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not talking about a Moxon rectangle, I am talking about his description of "a" hexbeam in HF Antennas For All Locations about 20 years before anyone tried to trademark anything.

M1WML likes this.