ad: Radclub22-1

Build your own DX Commander Multifan Vertical Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9FFF, Jul 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread - yikes

M1WML likes this.
  2. WU6R

WU6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video - great job. Thank you for sharing your work.

W9FFF, M1WML and KM5TX like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. W9FFF did a fine video describing his STYLE antenna. And Cal puts out a fine product.

What's important is that we don't put Cal out of business because the term "DX Commander" falls into general use instead of being product- specific.

It HAPPENED with the hex-beam==> N1HXA invented it and others appropriated the name. It didn't matter if that was intentional or not: N1HXA then went out of business. So please: don't tell me this is a silly issue. If you honor and respect that initiative to deliver you high quality antennas, then don't use the 'naming' in a generic way.

I hope this settles what the 'issue' is.

Chip W1YW

AK5B, W9FFF, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Moxon is a two element Yagi-Uda with bent back ends-- all in a rectangular shape.

The Hex-beam is not a Moxon. It doesn't have the current distribution of a Moxon. It doesn't have the form factor of Moxon.

N1HXA held the trademark on 'Hex-Beam' (see serial # 75053250). He had no interest in having that product specific term--which he coined-- fall into the generic category. But so many people came out with what they called HEXBEAMS for sale, that his original product got lost in the noise, as he had so many unauthorized competitors--who used the name-- that it became too expensive to defend it in court (IMO).

And now you can't buy a hexbeam from the man who created it.

That is a problem. We can prevent that 'naming issue' from happening again, 'DX Commander' is a descriptor of a product that Cal sells. Period:)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    AK5B, M1WML and HA3FLT like this.
  5. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not talking about a Moxon rectangle, I am talking about his description of "a" hexbeam in HF Antennas For All Locations about 20 years before anyone tried to trademark anything.

M1WML likes this.
  6. AI5DQ

AI5DQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ignore the typical contrary grouchy old hams. Excellent video.

W5VAX, W9FFF, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the book. There is no 'hex-beam' in that book. Perhaps you do not recall what a hex-beam is if you believe that Moxon described it before Traffie invented it.

A hex-beam is an 'inverted umbrella' antenna with six sides; often but not always, incorporating W- shaped elements. The antenna functions as a Yagi-Uda type directional antenna with modest (3-4 dBd) gain. First described in publication by Traffie in ELECTRIC RADIO from 1994.

But--

Go ahead and tell us why you think that and feel free to quote the pages from Moxon's book. As I said, I have the book and am happy to help:)

Important to clear up this point of information.

Chip W1YW

AK5B and M1WML like this.
  8. N3LJS

N3LJS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I really enjoy DX Commander YouTube Channel and made my own DX Commander. I research verticals in The ARRL Antenna Book 24th Edition. On page 19.9 theirs a picture of a 5 band vertical very similar to what I built. Not sure when it was publish. I am pretty sure it not a new design. You see a good article on a antenna build and you tweak it to make it work for you.

M1WML and KM5TX like this.
  9. K5GHM

K5GHM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent video. Have a DX Commander in process of construction. Just have to find the time to finish everything.

Maybe I missed it but it looks to me that you didn't spread out your radials in a very wide pattern? They look very close together.

M1WML and KM5TX like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

N1HXA applied for the 'hex-beam' trademark in 1996. So we should be looking for a hex beam after 1976 in Moxon's book...

The first edition of Moxon's book was published in 1982. I have the second edition, published 1993.

The index does not reference any 'hex beam'.

The 'Close-spaced beams' chapter neither alludes to nor represents a 'hex beam'.

The 'Horizontal beams' chapter neither alludes to nor represents a 'hex beam'.

The next edition of the Moxon book happened well after Traffie's 1994 ELECTRIC RADIO article on the hex beam.

Hence Moxon neither shows nor refers to a 'hex beam' in HF Antennas for all Locations before Traffie invented it, nor before Traffie trademarked 'hex-beam'. In fact he may never have referred to it in any edition of the book (if there was a third edition) ; certainly not before the 1994 Traffie publication.

You are incorrect.

I hope this clarifies the matter and if you think there is a different, pertinent reference, please present it. Thanks:)

Please: let's respect the 'naming' of antennas by making sure that any videos are not titled with same unless they specifically describe the product so offered. Otherwise, the creator loses the very distinction they deserve. Again this (loss of distinction) happened in the case of 'hex beam' for N1HXA. Let's not let it happen to Cal, M0MCX, and the 'DX Commander'.

Call it 'DX Commander-Style' or a 'Fan Monopole'. But let's not let ambiguity potentially throw away the effort that others make to offer great antennas at a value price.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    AK5B, M1WML and W0PV like this.
  11. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I said the same thing about the Yagi-Uda a few pages earlier. Good to see another supporter of Mr. Uda.

AK5B, WN1MB, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  12. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good, let's start correcting history by only referring to it as the Uda antenna. Perhaps, over time, Mr Uda will finally receive the recognition he so deserves.

AK5B, WN1MB and M1WML like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

In professional circles, it is called the 'Yagi-Uda' antenna-- and has been for a few decades:)

AK5B and M1WML like this.
  14. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

great job ,I like your ideas alot better its great your design is right on the button of being yours keep up the good work of experimenting and design..... A dipole is just a dipole as its been said but....If its been designed 10o times over its your design,,,,fantastic job......

W9FFF and KO4CES like this.
  15. AA3SO

AA3SO Ham Member QRZ Page

UMMM Nice Video thank you!

W9FFF likes this.