Build your own DX Commander Multifan Vertical Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9FFF, Jul 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W9FFF

W9FFF Ham Member QRZ Page

In this video, I explain how I built my own "DX Commander", talk about poles I tested, talk about wire used, and discuss other things. It is a bit of a long video at 47 minutes. The 3d print files will be posted later today

AA5BK, AA3ZA, KC2IEB and 9 others like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

After all the hassles to do the build I would feel silly not giving Callum his due. That you use his Branded name in the title are you sure your in the right here?

AK5B, IZ0WKV, 2E0EUG and 7 others like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree: you should have just said a 'multiband vertical'.

Obviously the manu offers a great product and saves many the effort. That's the value the manu brings to the table. If there are patents then there is another kettle of fish... did you check?

Also, I would never ever do a build with PLA for outside antenna supports. What 3D print material did you use?

Chip W1YW

AK5B, M0TNX and M1WML like this.
  4. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Callum should be given credit! DX Commander is his brand and has developed over many years!

AK5B, 2E0EUG, AB0R and 2 others like this.
  5. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad I'm not Callum... I would blow an f-ing fuse.

AK5B, 2E0EUG, M0TNX and 2 others like this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no shame left in the world.

AK5B, N3FAA and M1WML like this.
  7. W9FFF

I used PLA for the first two revisions and then ABS for 2.5 as mentioned in the video. Also it's since been suggested ABS isn't the best for outdoors. In future versions I'll try ASA and PETG.

This question may suggest the video wasn't fully watched. If it was, thanks. If not, No big deal. I'd like to point out some key video points regarding your concern:

I promote purchasing a DX Commander over building one and I give reasons why. Financially, it's not feasible to build one for yourself.

I can't speak for Callum (also states in the video) but it's in my belief that would appreciate the video. And if he had an issue with the build/video he could contact me and I'd work with him to do what he believes is right (also stated stated in the video)

I appreciate the comments, have a good one.

M0OXD, N5SKT, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  8. W9FFF

Did you watch the video?

KC2IEB, M0OXD, N5SKT and 6 others like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

A 'f
    No, I didn't watch every second. I skipped forward in some parts. I certainly watched the section where you introduced and showed the 3D parts. No discussion there about PLA vs ABS, for example. Videos are not high school assignments where one is tested afterwards.... so, please: don't blame the viewer.:)

ABS should be fine. I don't think most people are aware that PLA(for 3D printing) becomes brittle with time when exposed to UV; humidity; snow; rain. It does fall apart, like a shredded tire.

Although M0MCX does not appear to have patents nor trademarks on his antennas, and fan monopoles are nothing new, he does have a quality product and, as you say, we should support the innovators here.

Mike Traffie, N1HXA, came up with hexbeams, and at this point many don't even know that. A damn shame. Let's make sure that issue doesn't happen to others, IMO.

Anyway, you did a nice job on the build. I'd be a little worried about oxidation on the cable/wingnut points though.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    AK5B, KD7TFD and M1WML like this.
  10. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a DXC ABV and love it. But, let's make it clear that Callum did NOT invent the concept of a 1/4 wave multiband HF vertical antenna. What Callum did was a LOT of research, trial and error, and antenna modeling to get HIS version to something which works very well. Callum's version comes with a great deal of support from both Callum and the other DXC owners, which a home brew antenna doesn't include.

As for this fella's version... that bottom is gonna fill with water no matter how water tight he thinks he can do it...

If you want to build your own, then just buy the minimal parts kit from Callum and get on with it...

AK5B, KC2IEB, VK6OZ and 7 others like this.