ad: elecraft

Build it: 2 meter Tape Measure Yagi Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB9VBR, Feb 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

It did. Hams have used tape measure pieces as antennas on many different satellites.

The satellite you saw at the National Air and Space Museum annex at Dulles Airport was probably the PCSAT-1 (NO-44) satellite model on display. It was built at the US Naval Academy, a project led by Bob Bruninga WB4APR, and the satellite is still in orbit and occasionally operational. More about that satellite is at:

http://aprs.org/pcsat.html

I saw it there in 2014, but don't have those pictures with me. That link has photos of the satellite before its launch.

When the satellite gets enough sunlight, its 145.825 MHz packet digipeater will come alive - sort of. Most times, it may get enough solar power to send a packet beacon or two when it is overhead in daylight.

73!

2. WA6AM

WA6AM Ham Member QRZ Page

With so many vids on the ZED, I'm wondering if they have time to OPERATE anymore. All that production time and all.
    Great vid and good luck with the program. I'm sure it helps folks out just fine.
    Best 73 and keep it going. Now go call CQ!

3. KF7PBM

KF7PBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the video Michael ... some people learn a lot better visually rather than by reading a book! Good job! 73

AF7EC likes this.
  4. W8GMD

W8GMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Mike. Tnx for the video. I'm going to make one like you have shown then I think that will get me to make a Yagi for 2m from conduit or copper pipe for a higher wattage. Your instructions are easy to follow and precise. 73 to you.
    GarryD

5. M3ZKB

M3ZKB Ham Member QRZ Page

very neat and simple to set up nice one ,regards,ken,m3zkb

6. WA5GP

WA5GP Ham Member QRZ Page

What is all that white background... did your camera slip into over expose and wash it out..:p

7. KD9FQC

KD9FQC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Michael, thank you for such a nice project. I built one from parts laying around the house and am amazed at its directional capabilities. The only downside is now when I have to measure something, I’ll have to grab my radio!
    Jim Williamson
    KD9FQC
    O’Fallon, IL

KC1NNR likes this.
  8. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim-
    That's a downside?..as a side note tell me if you were assigned to 1974th Comm Sqdn @ Scott or if you knew Dennis Peak...you can answer at my qrz.com email address instead of here.

Randy
    KA4AQM

9. YY4LUN

YY4LUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Este proyecto es muy bueno yo transmití con una antena de este tipo con cinta métrica, transmision desde Pico espejo estado Merida Venezuela YY4LUN

10. YY4LUN

YY4LUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Usando un icom icT2H

11. VE9PFW

VE9PFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep up the good work.

12. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Not bad (except for those knife-edge hose clamp ends which are guaranteed to attack you and anything else they may contact)
    You need to inform the viewer if they are going to utilize a BNC connector at the end of their pigtail on this project that they need to be aware there are 2 different kinds; 50 Ohm (for radio use) and 75 Ohm (for A/V use).
    For such a introductory antenna build, a lot of people may not know this, and they look virtually identical.
    It also might not be a bad idea to raise the antenna a bit higher with a 2 or 3 piece support pole, and also stand slightly further away (which has the added bonus of seeing better if the antenna is actually horizontal).

13. DG8AE

DG8AE Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not ?!
    Sometimes we just forget to experiment with simple means / objekts .
    Well done.
    73 from Germany

14. KC1NNR

KC1NNR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have never put more than 5W into my tape measure Yagi-Uda. I followed KB9VBR video and have had multiple successful outings with this antenna.

Has anyone used 10 or 20 Watts? Can it handle it?