Build a Solar power system to power your 12v ham equipment

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by KO6KL, Nov 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Howdy Hams
    I spent this summer safely in the back yard garden after fixing the porch up
    I found myself wanting ham from back here , fixed my broken R-7 hf vertical
    planted it on a post and started dragging out some of the unused radios for the afternoon.
    Enjoyed the ft-817 worked Japan and Alaska on 5watts via solar power.
    Shortly after started looking for better power source and came up with the Power system
    and enjoyed then cleaning up the RFI
    here is what I came up with.... open to questions or feedback.
    73 Ko6kL
    [​IMG]
    that is a AC broadband filter between the charge controller and the solar panel.... really helped.

Attached Files:

KC7JNJ, N8RKD and KP4SX like this.
  2. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

I built a solar charging system for my camper van. It’s mostly used to power lights, fans, and charge phones, but also use it to power radios. For the HF rig I use a Samlex DC to DC converter to stabilize the voltage and isolation filtering. Supplies a stiff 12.5 volts with 9 to 18 volts in.

3. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

your line filter and charge controller could mounted on a base plate and put inside a copper mesh faraday cage ( grounded of course)
    this would make a major difference in the rfi.

4. KO6KL

im looking for a case for all this , something like a old metal lunch box would be great but very limited metalworking skill here...
    how is the dc to dc converter for RFI ?

5. KO6KL

And I found a nice box and it had a 30 amp line filter in it... bonus....from the junk pile.

6. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty good. It’s CE certified for RF isolation and I’d say it works pretty well. Haven’t noticed any noise from it on the HF bands, and I’ve used it in areas with a very low noise floor.

7. KO6KL

wondering if some sort of DC to DC converter would work to power the laptops , most seem to want ~19vdc now

8. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Look at Buck Boost for 19 volt laptop that look like your brick