Build a foxhunt antenna? Use Arrow Satellite antenna?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KV4JW, Apr 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

I see a lot of plans for these "tape measure" antennas, but I really don't like them. I'd like to make a foxhunt antenna that's more than three elements. Perhaps 4 or even 5.

I understand that spacing and lengths of the elements are all vitally important, so how is this calculated? Or is there an accurate calculator online that will assist with this? Also, I understand foxhunts are normally where one is receiving, but if it matters, I'd also like to be able to transmit with the antenna. I'm imagining strapping it to a tripod and seeing what distant repeaters I can get into!

I'm also tossing around the idea of buying one of the Arrow satellite antennas for satellite work. I imagine I could use this antenna for foxhunting as well, as it's directional?

2. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are online calculators that Google will help you find.

Foxhunting with a "tape measure" has significant advantage over a more typical higher gain, narrower bean antenna. The "tape measure" has enough direction and gain to get you moving in the correct direction. Where it really comes into play is when you are in close to the fox you turn the antenna around and use the deep and narrow null to pin point the direction. A higher gain antenna will be giving you reflections making it harder to locate the fox in close.

I have made both the 2m and 70cm "tape measure" and you can transmit with both and it makes a hand held into a low power mobile. A non-metallic support would be beneficial. There light weight and fold-ability are another advantage.

Good Luck,
    Mike

3. G6YYN

G6YYN Ham Member QRZ Page

The 3 Element tape measure antenna is nice and compact, if you start adding elements you will have an antenna that is difficult to use in a confined space. If your Fox Hunts cover large areas where a vehicle is required you will have difficulty getting it in and out of your vehicle. I find the 3 Element coupled with a switchable attenuator works very well. Also Programming another memory of your radio with the frequency of the third harmonic of the Fox is useful once you get close in.
    Tape measure Antennas work fine as normal Antennas providing the wind is not too strong to bend the elements!

Ken

4. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Arrow makes good antennas. If hand held, the larger ones get kinda awkward.