Bugcatcher advice

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KD5AUU, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD5AUU

KD5AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

I built it and it works - My sizes are a little different then the Texas Bugcatcher based on availabilty of tools - it does resonate around 3.6 untapped - I've worked it on 80 and 40 with 500-600 watts and gotten excellent results - No tuner - Started tuning with MFJ analyzer fine and tuned using meter in radio and SWR/Power meter - I have a matching coil at the base and it gets pretty flat where ever I want to run it. With a tuner in line I will be able to move up and down a little with out having to retap. Where can I send you pictures?

2. KD5AUU

3. KD5AUU

I'm trying to post a picture but I'm not real good at the process yet. [​IMG]

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Kevin,
    If nothing else you are a great photographer!

The antenna looks great. Most of us talk about an antenna and take months to build one, if ever, so you are definitely motivated. It's nice to see the results here.

- What did you use for a clip?
    - Did you bend the coils out, or place tabs for attach points?

Cheers, Bill

5. KD5AUU

Thanks Bill - I'm just using an alligator clip. I flattened the tips of the clip so it wouldn't make contact with the other turns on the coil - After I located the sweet spots for the frequencies I want to talk on I marked them with some of my wifes fingernail polish - It's transmits pretty good based on the signal reports I'm getting back and it hears very well also.

6. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks a lot like my home-brew bugcatcher coil. You are a good example and hopefully inspiration for the hams who cannot buy a Texas Bugcatcher coil anymore.

7. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine is the same as Kevin's: 4" wide, 10" long, 7 t.p.i., about 70 mh. 2-foot mast below, 6-foot whip above. I have the whip on a quick disconnect, and the mast on a Breedlove ball mount on the left rear quarter panel. The whole works come off quickly for parking structures and the like. I love it.

8. KD5AUU

Just thought I should let everyone know Henry is passing on the Texas Bugcatcher to these people and they will be building and selling them in the near future www.maintradingcompany.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.