ad: UR5CDX-1

Bugcatcher advice

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KD5AUU, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KD5AUU

KD5AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like some advice on construction of a Bug Catcher antenna - materials and coil size - number of turns - wire size - length / diameter etc. - is there any where I can find drawings and formulas - I'd like to build an 80 meter antenna.

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QST December 1980 has a 3 page construction article with detailed parts list and photos.

I checked the ARRL Antenna Book, about 4 years old and it has loaded vertical projects but nothing specifically as a bug catcher. I reall think some of the late 70's or 1980's Handbooks had a similar project but I'll leave that to you to search for.

Good luck!

4. G7VQE

G7VQE Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

My Texas Bugcatcher coil is 26 turns at 4 turns per inch, 6 inch diameter of #16 wire. It has about 72 uH of inductance. A very good inductance calculator is at:

http://hamwaves.com/antennas/inductance.html

Multiply inches by 25.4 to get mm.

6. KD5AUU

Thanks Y'all - I guess from the lack of response and the little I've been able to find on my own that the Bugcatcher is on it's way to becoming obsolete - It's too bad - It is the best mobile antenna I have ever had - Anyway I appreciate your suggestions and I think maybe I have enough to put one together - I'm going to give it a shot - 73..............

7. N5TGL

N5TGL Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KD5AUU

Great - gave me some more good ideas - Thanks

9. KD5AUU

Cecil is that an 80 meter coil?

10. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it's a standard 80m Texas Bugcatcher coil given to me by K7JEB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.