Bug Catcher

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD5IKX, Aug 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

They don't call them "Bug Catchers" for nothing. (^8

BE-bugs.JPG

John WD5IKX

WA8FOZ, AD5HR and N5OCO like this.
  2. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2287A42B-0B17-4371-978C-9845B61A009A.jpeg
    Sometimes they are ice catchers.

KC5AKB and WD5IKX like this.
  3. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep- they do earn the name, but work quite well!! Is that a Takahashi telescope....?... nice. The antenna looks homebrew, I built mine too.

4. WD5IKX

Yes it is home brew and it works great and it didn't cost much too.

The telescope in my avatar is an Explore Scientific 127ED and it works great too. (^8

Antenna rainbow.JPG

John WD5IKX

W7UUU likes this.
  5. KW6LA

Wow... Nice APO scope and Mars with a 12mm eyepiece must look great!! I have a 10 inch Dob that hasn't been used in awhile. Guess its time to brush clean the Nagler.
    If you go to my QRZ you can see my BC antenna. Blows smoke on 40 meters and did you say CHEAP !! Ha Ha

6. WD5IKX

I have seen a picture of your antenna before and I expect it is a great performer. How tall is it? If it dose not tap overpasses....it is too short.

John WD5IKX

7. WD5IKX

Oh....Here is an image I took with the ES127 triplet refractor.

M20-Cal-Sigma-DN-Str-Sat-3x3-Jl-crop.jpg

John WD5IKX

8. G6YYN

G6YYN Ham Member QRZ Page

I run a Homebrew Bug Catcher on my Mobile set up, from the two pictures posted I see one has the shorting lead from the bottom of the coil, and the other has the shorting coil from the top.
    Is there any benefit in one of the methods or even using both top and bottom and using the best one to short out the largest portion of the coil?

Ken

9. KW6LA

John is that M42 nebula? Very nice picture from a refractor scope. What filter did you use -Oxygen III ? I guess my antenna is about 10 feet full length, so it does well, coil thru on 40 meters.
    Ken it doesn't make much difference tapping from top or bottom. Just easier from bottom so you can reach it !! BC antennas are pretty forgiving as you well know. You must get some
    strange looks in England, knowing that most car/ trucks are smaller than here in the states. If Petrol was cheaper in GB, everyone would be driving a Ford Super-Duty Hi Hi.

10. WD5IKX

That is M20 the Trifid nebula taken with an ASI1600MC-Cool color camera. One hour total exposure, no filters...true color.
    We do like our "big ole trucks" but someday I might put a bug Catcher on a VW Bug just to turn some heads.