ad: SDRKits-1

Buddipole or Loop Antenna?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N7IY, Jun 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7IY

N7IY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I want to do portable operations near the beach, here in Oregon.

The radio and power are no problem, but I am having trouble deciding between a buddipole or loop antenna.

Any thoughts?

N7IY, Peter

2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Neither.

Verticals generally are the way to go at or near salt water---ground gain is not so good there for anything horizontal.

I'd try a C-Pole, vertical Moxon or H-double bay if I had a tall enough support; maybe a vertical dipole would be another good and easy to construct choice (get yourself a tall Jackite or SpiderPole). A loop would be fine if you orient it vertically (like a delta loop).

73, Jeff

KK5JY likes this.
  3. KD6RF

KD6RF Ham Member QRZ Page

As Jeff hinted, perhaps flipping that baby vertical would give you a nice longer distance and DX performer - assuming that's what you're after!

If you try this, bringing the feedline away at right angles for a ways, as well as using a decent choke will enhance efficiency.

GL :cool:

AK5B likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, either can work the way Jeff suggested. A vertical STL is still a vertically polarized antenna, and the salt water will help its gain and takeoff angle substantially.

A single-element Buddipole can also configured as a vertical. Just stick one "leg" of the BP straight up in the air, and put a few wire radials under it, and you will get the same nice effect from the saltwater.

Portable ops at the beach. You are living the dream, my friend. :)

5. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with vertical antennas by the beach. I remember a time when I was on a pier and not having much luck with a horizontal dipole/inverted vee. I made it vertical. The noise on receive came up but I got out much better. Video at

While the Buddiepole is versatile it has a lot of little bits and can be awkward to adjust compared to a wire with an antenna coupler near the transceiver. One approach that could suit the experimenter is a basic kit where you can try various type of antennas. Eg:

* 1 or 2 telescopic poles at least 9 m tall (and velcro ties)
    * L-match antenna coupler (or possibly a balanced coupler which can be switched to end-fed as well)
    * Rope
    * Several pieces of wire approx 10 & 20m long.
    * switchable 4:1/1:1 balun
    * Coax and / or open wire feedline (approx 10m long)
    * Small insulators made from chopping board

The 20m wire in particular can be set up to form an end-fed inverted L on 40m (high z), a full sized delta loop on 20m or if you've got two poles set up as an inverted-U half-square. So it is very versatile. The 10m wire could be an end-fed half wave on 20m, set up to be either vertical or horizontal. Or a 1/4 wavelength vertical on 40m.

Some beach portable antennas are in videos linked from the middle column of http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/projant.htm

6. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

For the cost of a fully equipped Buddipole system, you can buy a used screwdriver antenna. Continuous tuning, compact & depending on the unit you get, they can be rather efficient.

Ed

AK5B likes this.
  7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you can construct your own portable vertical antenna on the cheap.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    AK5B likes this.
  8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

12m Spiderbeam HD fiberglass pole and a decent tuner can get you this excellent vertical. I prefer using ladderline. I think 80m is not so great on this but 40m is only about 1.5 s down, and very usable. The high bands ARE EXCELLENT on this antenna, and much more efficient than other veriticals, with less work. I just use a manual mfj tuner. The tuner worries are more about tuning 80m.

http://www.dj0ip.de/my-favorite-antennas/all-bands-vertical/

Twist the wire around the pole to give yourself space at the bottom. I can work longpath with 10w on this antenna, if in a good spot.

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

a vertical Hamstick with a mount elevated on a pole and 3 elevated radials coming off the mount will get you a fair signal for it's size and simplicity ! Also, not too pricey compared to some "portable" antenna setups.
    To change bands just unscrew one ham stick and screw on another one. You will need a few radials of a length for each band you are using.
    MFJ 16## whips are inexpensive, they come made for each HF band