Browning Golden Eagle Mark IV

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WELLINGGO, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WELLINGGO

WELLINGGO QRZ Member

By chance, I picked up a Browning Golden Eagle Mark IV (in mint condition and in its original box). I am a complete newbie to this activity but, when I saw the deal on the radio, I figured I might as well give it a try or flip the radio to some one who can put it to better use.

Just for context, I'll throw in some background.

I can remember as a kid (early-mid 70s), fishing in Northern New England and having a cheap CB radio in my dad's truck (I bet the radio is still in his basement). One of the guys we fished with was a dispatcher (of sorts) for a paper company (keeping track of their trucks, skidders, etc. across 100k+ sqmi of territory. He had this cool looking radio and big microphone on the table in his home office. I think it was a Browning but, I don't know exactly what it was (wasn't CB). He would also use it to keep tabs on a couple of fishing camps that were a good 20 miles or more off the paved road. I have also spent lots of time in and around Laconia so, I like the local connection (to the Browning history).

Over the past 20 years, I've been deeply involved in the creation of the broadband wireless industry (here in the US and in lots of foreign markets). While I can talk the talk (to some degree) and understand the engineers (when they speak slowly), I'm on the business side of things. If I built a radio, it would definitely qualify as a boat anchor or fire-starter. While 'everyone' in the industry has been solely focused on capacity, I altered my focus, slightly (around 1997) to put comms security, integrity and continuity at the top of my priority list. I've spent loads of time on pulse (UWB), starting in 1996, which, actually was what got me thinking about those preceding priorities.

I started to realize that these priorities were more of a necessity when someone educated me on what an EMP is (circa 2001) and the comms failures following Catrina and other disasters. I started to think that there might be some value in wave form characteristics that are not of interest to Wall Street and here I am.

2. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

The Browning Golden Eagle is nothing more than a jazzed-up CB radio, with about the same performance.

It was marketed to those CB types who equated a separate receiver and transmitter on a par with "amateur radio' and paid a premium for it.

They look nice, but they won't work any better than a $50 CB radio.

Gary WA7KKP

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

But some still pay big bucks for them. A Browning and a D-104 "power mike" were the kings of the CB turd pile.

And Im also in NH

Carl

4. KI4MRL

KI4MRL Ham Member QRZ Page

are you selling these or is this a history lesson?73

5. KB7NRN

KB7NRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Tough crowd here, ain't it?!

6. N1DVJ

N1DVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, the 23 channel Golden Eagle was a decent radio. Transmitter was so-so, but the receiver was pretty decent. And the CBers that wanted to be 'radio hobbiest' got off on the separate receiver that was tunable.

The 40 channel version of the transmitter, on the other hand, was pure garbage. Even the poor junk from Johnson was only slightly less. The Uniden uPD858 (I think that was the number) series chassis radios from Cobra, Uniden, President, and Radio Shack would blow the Brownings out of the water. Even the GRE chassis radios like in the Realistic TRC448 were better. A LOT better.

7. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Before I got into ham radio I went to a cb break, and bought a raffle ticket, (kinda like a cber's convention) I won a "Pace 1000" base station which could also do SSB. A friend of mine loaned me his "spectrum commander" a 1,000 watt linear amplifier. Every body on my street knew who I was, as I came over every body's tv's :)
    I met another guy who had a "Wilson shooting star" antenna, it was a 20 element beam, on a 100' tower, plus he had a 3,000 watt linear amp, along with a Golden Eagle radio. I guess if you are going to go illegal you might as well go all the way as in cb at that time 3 watts was the maximum output power allowed.

8. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

How does cb, in particular a Browning, put comms security, integrity and continuity at the top of any priority list? Also why are you posting this at qrz rather than breakabreaka.com?

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Impressing us all with lingo, jargon and patter ?

10. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you get the certificate for "WORKED ALL TVs"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.