Broadcast Audio limiter/compressor in audio chain for newbie

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KD6CXW, Jul 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That explains a lot. The same thing happened with the Eldico TR-1. Separate giant schematic. It's an example of an idea that is great in the short term, like the giant broadcast rig schematics that could be tacked to the wall of a transmitter building. I like easy to read schematics. Who doesn't. But no one could have possibly foreseen that decades later the gear would still be in use, and the big schematics would become separated from the manuals and disappear. Or in this case, be hard to scan. Well, I'll gladly cover your expenses and if I wind up with a pdf file, or files, I'll put them up on google docs and link to them from my QRZ page.

2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

OK the 528e is scratched off my list, thanx for the facts vs a marketing presentation.

Carl

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

OTOH, thousands of users are happy with it. I recall ZERO complaints when I was the engineering tech for Symetrix (a coupla years). :)

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Nobody here has said the 528e is a poor product yet all you seem to do is talk about "complaints".

You have already been told several times that application requirements are different between studio and transmitter. What part of that dont you understand?
    Do you understand the difference between a BC TX and a typical hollow state AM ham TX and a SSB Rice Box?

What hollow state AM TX have you used it with?

How much AM experience do you have?

AC0OB likes this.
  5. WA7PRC

Incorrect.
    Yep, I've stated that. :)
    Yep. :)
    Several -- a long time ago when I worked in broadcast engineering. FM, too. :)
    It goes back nearly five decades. :)

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Who?

Incorrect, not a peep from you on this thread.
    Actually others have stated that. which you just ignore.

Then explain it to us

IOW you wont answer just as in the September 2018 thread which you caused to get locked.

And now you suddenly trolled to here to cause similar dissension. Havent you learned your lesson from prior management warnings on other subjects?

Im thru, carry on until you get kicked off.

<30>

FINI

AC0OB likes this.
  7. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Question regarding the voice symmetry switch.

What does it do?

TIA.

8. WA7PRC

A used 528E can usually be had for $200 - 300. IIRC, I paid a coupla hundred or so for mine. Recent SOLD units (http://tinyurl.com/y4x3yw89) show most in that range.

From the datasheet (http://www.symetrix.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/528E_ds_EN-1.pdf):
    The Voice Symmetry switch corrects for excessive positive or negative signal peaks of the human voice.

9. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

10. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Broadcast is one word, BTW.

Otherwise you get a bunch of fat people on stage...

73DG

K2WH, KA4KOE, WA3VJB and 1 other person like this.