Broadcast Audio limiter/compressor in audio chain for newbie

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KD6CXW, Jul 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD6CXW

KD6CXW Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to thank everyone for there input, data and references, it’s a learning experience and vary helpful.

Was wounding if a limiter like the symetrix 565e would help or be a waist of money until I find something like the 222?

2. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

The 222 could be used stand-alone for a very clean and open sound, but it's primarily a peak limiter, so you'd need something to precede it if you wanted more control of your audio, ie, equalization, compression, etc. For just getting started, the 222 is fine by itself and will get you on the air while, when set properly, protecting your transmitter from damage due to arc overs.

A modulation monitor is critically important, particularly for big iron.

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The 565E (User's Guide) is only a dual-channel compressor/limiter/expander. If that's all you need, fine.

OTOH, the 528E (User's Guide) that I use is a single channel unit that includes a very good preamp and three band parametric equalizer. Many thousands have been sold over the decades.

A modulation monitor is critically important, whenever running any type of amplitude-modulated signal (AM, or SSB), no matter the type of equipment.

N6YW likes this.
  4. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Operating a transmitter without a monitor scope (or modulation monitor) is like driving a car at night with the headlights turned off.

KM1H and N6YW like this.
  5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah. Except, the typical legacy ham scope uses a tiny 3" diameter CRT, and doesn't have triggered sweep. They also tend to command high(er) prices. OTOH, when I obtained a better 'scope for my test bench, I "retired" my Tektronix 2236 oscilloscope (100 MHz, analog) to the shack. It has a 5" CRT + triggered sweep. It's MUCH nicer than my olde Heath & Kenwood units. And, the cost was modest. :)

If I had money to spend, I'd buy a LP-500 or LP-700 'Digital Station Monitor' from Larry Phipps N8LP (http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-500.html). Aside from not using a CRT, it is VERY nice... it has many features and measurements are NIST-traceable. :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    N6YW likes this.
  6. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

N6YW likes this.
  7. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Mike Patton price is a pretty decent price.

Here is a diagram of what I was referring to when speaking of a minimalist audio system:

Pheel

Attached Files:

N1BCG likes this.
  8. WA3JVJ

WA3JVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Symetrix makes some good equipment, I have been using a Symetrix 501 for many years with good results.

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

John, are you planning on running the Bauer out of the Michagan address? There's a good chance I'll actually be able to work you some evening, if so. Looking forward to it.

I found an old thread from a couple years ago that went 21 pages by the time it trailed off. There are some excellent points and historical context about processors and the what-for/how-to situation you are exploring. Settle in with a suitable beverage and see if there are some useful nuggets:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/audio-processing-for-am.535940/

KD2ACO and N6YW like this.
  10. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You do have a way with words Paul... :cool::D

N6YW likes this.