Broadcast AM antenna out door for 59 Mercury radio-update

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N7BKV, Nov 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, so here is what I did:

I ran a 20' auto radio extension feed line out of the shack and up to the second story deck. That deck is surrounded with 2" x 4" welded wire fabric wood framed and topped with the wood deck rail. The wire fabric is pretty much insulated from ground by the wood rail and frame on all four sides. Actually I used two sections, at 90 deg to each other. One about 6 ' long and the other about 10' long.

I connected the these two sections together with a jumper wire and then to the center wire of the antenna extension cable.

WOW! Pulls in San Diego, LA, Santa Maria and all points around! And that is daytime broadcast! 400 Miles.

Totally an experiment to see if something already around the shack could work as an antenna without having to fuss with building something. Works fine by me!

Radio is powered by the Samlex 13.8 volt PS. Audio out is connected to a large oval speaker I dug out of a car in the junk yard.

I know it's not high fidelity, but there just something about AM tube radio sound that is different. And it glows in the dark.

Here's the radio again:

[​IMG]

Brian N
    N7BKV
    Groveland, CA

W9AFB, KL7SG, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Brings back memories as a kid growing up. The nights you were supposed to be in bed sleeping but in fact, had the radio turned down low listening to the golden age of rock and roll. The soundtrack of your life in real-time. The sounds of the artists and groups out of NYC, Philly, Motown even "I wish they all could be California girls". Don't turn it up too loud or there would be a knock on the door..." turn that thing off and get to sleep".

WB5THT and N7BKV like this.
  3. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, the wait for the tubes to heat up! As the stations start to come in, the oscillator starts winding up like a jet engine. Probably a tube going bad, but as soon as it is fully warmed up the pitch goes above audible and the stations come in real clear. Memories!

K3XR likes this.
  4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

KOMA. OKLAHOMA City. Red hot Top 40....

Thanks for sharing.

5. WB5THT

WB5THT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had one of the "rocket" geranium crystal radios, tuning was done with a rod in the peak of the nose cone. I would listen to the radio under my bed covers at bedtime.

K3XR and N7BKV like this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 49 Plymouth Deluxe model with PP audio in one of the trailers out back. In the garage it is a 51 Buick with PP 6V6's. Both now running on 120VAC with great audio.

Fantastic audio on both.

Carl

N7BKV likes this.
  7. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Those old tube radios actually are pretty hi fidelity. You're never gonna hear AM any better!
    My crystal radio was hooked up to my bed springs and the wall cover screw of an outlet.
    It played 24/7 from when I hooked it up in 7th grade till after I moved out and got married. Lots if Indians baseball games!

N7BKV likes this.