ad: elecraft

Bright Regions Enter & Big Filament Launch in the Earth-Strike Zone | Space Weather News 08.23.2021

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Aug 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

I always enjoy learning from these presentations. Thank you for providing them here. Hey, did we have another ejection on the 27th or so? Weird conditions yesterday!

M1WML likes this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Check your space weather this morning. All I can say is Incoming.

M1WML likes this.
  3. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow

M1WML likes this.
  4. VK2MCS

VK2MCS Ham Member QRZ Page

Carrington-class CME Narrowly Misses Earth
    Our Sun had a CME similar to the Carrington event in 2012. Fortunately Earth wasn't in it's path. Saying with certainty it aint gonna happen is just scientists being know-it-alls once again.

W8WJW, W0JKT, N1IPU and 1 other person like this.
  5. N1IPU

Imagine there were no naysayers who like to tell you it will never happen and as a society we prepared and hardened out infrastructure. Instead it's just gets more decrepit.

Every disaster has them, you would think they would learn. Instead they must work at Boeing.

M1WML and VE3CGA like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

..but in this case it hasn't.

Don't call it a 'Carrington event' until its a Carrington event.

M1WML likes this.
  7. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

8. W8WJW

W8WJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't want to go there, but what did we learn from the Carrington Event so that we are better prepared this time? What did we learn from the 1918-1919 pandemic so that we were better prepared this time? Based on how-well we learn from past history, I think we're screwed except for tube-based technology, even with that, transformers might not survive the Event. Never say never again, we should know better by now to 'lessons learned' from previous disasters.

M1WML likes this.
  9. N1IPU

Fact is it's not just the grid. Our entire economy is based on timing from GPS and there is no provisions for back up. Those who do digital modes know how important the slightest timing deviation is but in banking at every level it is even more so.
    No power, no banking, almost all transportation will come to a halt. Look at what damage has been done by the covid fiasco. Our digital world will come tumbling down.

One would think those in power would be savy to all this and they have been warned decades ago. Nothing was done though because we instead went of on silly concepts to control rather than lift up. We live in an age where BS supersedes common sense on every level. Hopefully the young will see through it and do it right next time.

M1WML and K9GLS like this.
  10. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

[​IMG]

M1WML likes this.
  11. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Millions of things have been done to improve CME survivability. Just because YOU don't know intimate details of power companies, government, industry etc. doesn't mean nothing has been done.

Stop the hysteria and fear mongering.

p.s No, digital ops don't fail with the "Slightest deviation of timing". Last year, my internet connection in the hinterlands was unusable for over a month. I found that I could bootstrap FT8 timing by synching my computer clock with the audible start of the FT8 'pack' transmissions.

FT8 is fairly robust and doesn't need satellite or internet timing precision. In fact it doesn't care what the actual time is. Just get the minute synched and it runs fine.

M1WML likes this.
  12. N1IPU

You assume a lot in a lot of different ways. If I don't know intimate details what makes you the expert? Fact is the power companies themselves know the danger Here is it direct from IEEE... https://spectrum.ieee.org/solar-storms-strike-earth-in-onetwo-punch

Digital ops do fail when GPS goes down. Just because FT8/JS8 can synch doesn't mean the FED line Swift or and other financial transfer system will not. These systems rely on microseconds not Joe the Ham sending CQ. Let's not get into aviation, Nautical nav or Blue hairs driving off the beach in Ft. Lauderdale.

Really just stop being ignorant or blind from scary thoughts. It's tiresome to have to deal with your noise of nothingness. Its not fear mongering to be informed, Fear mongering is the medias job and critical thinkers can easily wade through it.

M1WML likes this.
  13. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

would that be isochronous timing or just plain old keeping your ears on ?

M1WML likes this.
  14. W4CEC

W4CEC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just saw this for the first time.
    I LIKE IT!!
    She is really easy to listen to and watch, not only because of her excitement, love, and appreciation of the sun and solar activity but also because she uses easy to understand language to explain everything.
    I need to go find her on Patreon now......