Bridgecom repeater?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA2NAN, Sep 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA2NAN

WA2NAN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have just purchased a Bridgecom bcr-50v vhf 2 mtr. repeater to replace a tired old GE mastr II. It is in place and working, no desence, 50 watts out. Sensitivity seems good, receives weak signals down to nearly unreadable. Problem is, if a mobile signal drops down and flutters, the repeater pop's in and out. Never saw that with the mastr II and other repeaters. Running 151.4 rx tone, no tx tone, carrier detect, not valid signal as that make the dropouts worse. Anyone have or had similar problem?
    kerry@northnet.org

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In my experience, Bridgecom is pretty responsive. Did you give them a call?

3. WA2NAN

Yet I did and they only told me the sensitivity was very good on that repeater and lowest squelch setting had -122 dbm threshold. .

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Does the repeater have a delay function? That is, can the repeater be set so that there is a "so many seconds" delay before the transmitter drops out?

Commercial two-way radio repeaters generally have such a delay and most amateur radio repeater control systems also have this function.

Glen, K9STH

5. WA2NAN

Yes and it's set for about 4 seconds. The repeater doesn’t drop out, just the incoming signal. Squelch drops momentarily. ...

6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Bingo!

7. WA2NAN

So you think setting the delay longer might help?

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

NAN:

Definitely!

I used to own several commercial community repeaters and have built, owned, operated, etc., amateur radio repeaters in years past. Every one of them had between a 5-second and 10-second delay. No complaints about the repeater dropping in and out.

Glen, K9STH

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait a sec. Sounds like you and Glen are really talking about entirely different things.

If the dropout is set at 4 seconds (which is a pretty long time), that should keep the repeater keyed for 4 seconds even in the absence of any signal at all, after last repeated transmission.

It sounds like you're talking about the mobile signal dropping out of the repeater even when it's still readable, so although they repeater TX continues to transmit, nobody can hear the intended (input) signal. If that's the case, either the squelch is too tight or it's not working all that well.

Squelch circuits vary a lot. I don't have a Bridgecom, so don't know how theirs works. Some are like a "trigger," where if the signal drops below a threshold, everything's gone; some are "softer" response, so a signal can fade pretty far into the noise but until it's completely in the noise, the squelch is still open.

K7JEM likes this.
  10. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page