Brian Carling AF4K

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, May 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Posted on the AM e-mail Reflector:

On April 4, Brian was taken to the emergency room thinking he may have had a
    minor stroke, since he was encountering some difficulties. By 7am the next
    morning, he had undergone brain surgery with a very grim prognosis of a non
    operative stage 4 GBA tumor. Due to complications, we will not be able to
    operate business as usual with AF4K CRYSTALS. We will not be taking any more
    orders personally, but the family would like to assist in helping those who
    have outstanding orders who have had difficulties contacting us or have not
    had orders fulfilled. We apologize for any inconvenience. If there is anyone
    who have not received their merchandise, please contact Brian's XYL. The
    best effort will be made to remedy the situation as soon as possible.
    The information is:
    Marie Carling
    WB4QBL
    321-262-7151
    marie.carling@af4k.com
    There are others interested in the purchase of the business including AF4K
    Crystals domain and inventory. For many years Brian and Marie have enjoyed
    running the business and it would be a gift to both to know it would
    continue to provide for others.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
    73's
    Marie Carling

I knew Brian personally when he was living in Nashville. He operated some AM, and had bought a Globe King 400, but life got in the way and he sold it before ever getting it on the air. Soon thereafter, he moved to Florida. I had a nice visit with him one afternoon while down there when we took the kids to see Disney World. Over the years, he supplied me with several original old-style round Bliley and Valpey crystals that work in my HF-300 rig. Very sad news indeed.

Let's hope for a miraculous recovery.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Oh my this is really sad to hear. Bry has been a long-time internet friend, vendor, and QSO partner for many years. He has supplied me with parts, pieces, crystals, grinding tools and grits, you name it for many many years.

I surely hope he has some sort of recovery even if he doesn't return to selling.

Thanks for letting us know the situation

Dave
    W7UUU

W1BR likes this.
  3. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Bry is a great guy. I've worked him many times on CW and have done business with him, too. He was instrumental in getting the Novice Rig Roundup to become the popular event that it is now. This is terrible news, but I'm praying that he recovers and gets back on the air soon.

If he and his family aren't able to continue the crystal business, it is awesome that others have already shown interest in picking it up. And I know that it's in the spirit of continuing the tradition. I doubt that anyone would ever imagine getting rich in a ham radio niche business...

4. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very sad news indeed. Here's wishing him a complete recovery and his family comfort.

5. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

Kyrie Elysian
    Lord have mercy

7. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Both John McCain and Ted Kennedy succumbed to his type of tumor. Sorry to now learn about AF4K. For many years Bry has been a fixture around the vintage scene. Knowing he is a good home for old xtals, I sent along some XT-cut rocks about 20 years ago that came out of a broadcast transmitter which had been re-tuned & VFO'd. Hopefully they made their way to some other rescuer, to help initial repairs to some beast, somewhere, thanks to Bry being a clearing-house for cut quartz.

8. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the info and here is hoping his condition improves.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered some crystals and the order was later cancelled. Didn't know about his condition.

Pheel

9. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Don, please post a link to the AM email reflector.

10. W4IJ

W4IJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh no, terrible news. I met Bry back in my Georgia Tech days when ACK Radio and Specialty Distributing Company (where I bought my HQ129X and Drake B Line from) were the go-to places for radio parts. ACK closed in 2018, Specialty Distributing long before.

I hope Bry makes a full recovery and I hope someone will pick up the baton and purchase the crystal business and carry on.

If you haven't read his QRZ page, please do, it's quite interesting and informative.