ad: ARR

Brewer Labs Varmint Mobile XL190

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KN4IBQ, Apr 15, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll have to disagree. I think that amp uses the transistors to chop the DC, to a transformer.
    The fact that it is squealing, reminds me of the one I had.
    It's chopping on & off, because you are using SSB. AM will keep the relay closed.
    The light glows brighter with the 30 amp supply, because it can handle the draw.

Ed

2. KN4IBQ

KN4IBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was using an old CB radio I had , it isnt able to do SSB however it may not be the most stable. Here is a link to a image of the insides of the amp https://i.imgur.com/MQCRAlW.jpg
    Thanks for your reply.

3. AA7QQ

Can you post a pic of the side that has the SO-239 connectors (Coax connectors)?

Ed

4. KN4IBQ

Sure no problem. I will get a picture of that side after work today.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not according to the manufacturer's documents, which I posted back in post #7.

Those came from the "CB Tricks" website, which had all documentation for that model.

6. AA7QQ

I do not see the transformer (In the pictures) in the schematic.
    I had one very similar, but it had a toroid transformer. The "Squealing" was from the DC chopping of the transistors on the back.

Ed

7. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve
    Your docs refer to the Varmint xl-xxx
    What OP has is Varmint Mobile xl-xxx
    Two different animals

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You're right!

Thanks for the correction, it's likely pretty important.

I can't find a "rear view" image of the mobile amp. Maybe the OP can post one, it should reveal what kind of power connection it has and maybe a heatsink for a multivibrator transistor power supply.

Maybe!

9. AA7QQ

On his 2nd atatchment, you can see the power coming in the back & going right to the transistors for chopping. That pic has the power in.
    e will post a pic of the SO239s tonight & we should be able to see if there are an other inputs.

Ed

10. KN4IBQ

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 10:21 PM