Brendan Prize - what has been tried?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by M0AGP, Jun 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish you LUCK :)in your endeavours. It IS a formidable challenge, but I (seriously) believe it WILL be met, SOMEDAY. Your attempt(s?) however, emphasize the :eek: extreme difficulty :(of the challenge, even using digital modes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You are correct; I erred somewhat; the Brendan Trophy IS for verified 2 Meter (2 Metre, if you wish :rolleyes:) contact between continents of Europe and America, either North OR South America. and the sponsors define what constitutes each "continent," so Ireland and all of Great Britain DO qualify. While South Amreica is also included in the requirements, it does usually have a significantly longer path to Europe than North America.
    And also, by definition according to The Brendan sponsors, Greenland is NOT considered part of the American continent (again, other definitions by any others not withstanding.)
    The original claimed "transatlantic" 2 Meter contact made was between Cape Verde Island, and the Caribbean, there have been other such contacts made since. But the Canary Islands don't qualify as "Europe," even if a Spanish possession.

And BTW, it is the BrendAn Trophy, not the :eek:BrendOn Trophy! (Two VERY different things!:rolleyes:)

3. VE6MB

VE6MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall reading about this attempt in the article, in RAC's (Radio Amateurs of Canada) journal, the TCA (The Canadian Amateur).....

73, Valentino, VE6MB

4. W2EV

W2EV Ham Member QRZ Page

All of the attempts-to-date have been individual and discreet ... as if "with enough ERP you can be successful". None have leveraged the "time domain"...by having a signal constantly "probing" and "alerting" the pathway 24/7/365 until success is realized.

If there are any NA or EU amateur radio operators who happen to live near the coasts (preferably at altitude in NA) who are willing and actually able to establish automatically controlled (based on APRS) stations on 2 meters with high-gain antennas (12.5 dBi or better)...please reach out to me and we'll collaborate on setting up the system that I describe at your location.

As an additional "call-out": active stations located in Bermuda, and Azores would be a real bonus, too!

If you have APRS experience, you will be well served. If not, I'll help.

Ev, W2EV

M0AGP likes this.
  5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the biggest problem here is that APRS is basically FM, and will suffer a severe SNR disadvantage compared to any other mode. Maybe 6-9+ dB worse than the same power SSB station, or maybe 30dB worse than many of the digital modes. Time and money might be better spent installing a CW or digital beacon, even that would be 10+ dB down from a full power station, due to the 100 watt power limitation. But either of those would be much more likely to make the path than an FM signal.

6. W2EV

W2EV Ham Member QRZ Page

The KH6-W6 duct was often observed before narrowband modes were employed so FM cannot be discounted. Even so, APRS on SSB is done regularly on 30 meters. Additionally, the PropNET project (propnet.org) documented a full solar cycle of 10 meter propagation using APRS on PSK31.

The point that I'm trying to make is that the duct likely forms at times that can't be accurately predicted so facilitating a discreet attempt has a very low probability of success. Leveraging a 24/7 "time domain" approach with the ability to automatically alert operators as described above would be advantageous...and I'm willing to collaborate with coastal stations to help them to become part of amateur radio history.

7. K3EO

K3EO Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if anyone on either coast has ever received VHF (channels 7 - 13) broadcast television video or audio signals from the opposite coast? Since television broadcast stations typically run EIRP levels that are well beyond the legal levels of amateur stations, I wonder if anyone has ever seen or heard a TV signal from across the Atlantic. Maybe this is documented in some old SWL or Monitoring Times magazines? If there is a record of this happening, that would at least let us know that VHF signals higher in frequency than 2 meters can propagate from coast to coast.

Years ago many U.S. television stations did not operate 24 hours a day and would go off the air late at night. That would give people who monitor VHF stations an opportunity to listen or look for out of town TV stations. I guess this technique would not work today because most TV broadcast stations now run 24/7, so I don't think you can use them as an indicator of propagation because the local stations would not let the weaker ones punch through.

Just a thought...

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

But if you are starting with a 20-30 dB disadvantage, by using FM, then you are never likely to see results. You need to start with a "weak signal" mode in order to have any hope.

9. W2EV

W2EV Ham Member QRZ Page

Purely from memory, I recall anecdotal reports of air planes in New England being in contact with UK air traffic controllers on VHF channels...while at altitude. This (of course) on AM (a wide band mode).

10. VO1NO

VO1NO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah - If that was for me, I did spell it BrendAn, not BrendOn. :)