ad: Mircules-1

Brendan Prize - what has been tried?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by M0AGP, Jun 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

It might be that doing this results in some data being successfully transmitted - that in itself might inspire some more heroic efforts.

Alternatively, would it be legal to automatically start calling CQ on FT8 once such a 2 meter signal was received? That, plus a loud klaxon, might be enough to get the hams sprinting to their transceivers before the opening drops out...

2. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

No that's not correct. It's awarded, and I quote:

'to each of the operators of the two amateur radio stations which first establish two-way communication in the relevant category between the continents of Europe and America (North or South) within the Two Metre Amateur Band,'

Continents are defined for this purpose, again I quote:

'The basic outline of the continental shelves is derived from "The Times Atlas of the Oceans". pp. 222-3 (Times Books 1983; ISBN 0-7230-0246-0)'

Reference: https://www.irts.ie/cgi/st.cgi?brendan

Given tropo conditions this week, this would seem to give a good chance for the contact to occur between, say, Ireland, UK or Norway and the western half of Iceland, parts of which are on the North American plate. Or Greenland, which is entirely on the North American plate, and from which I gather TV signals have been received in Ireland last week.

There is thus plenty of scope for the rather loose wording of the Brendan prize to be disputed should such a contact occur between these regions, because the almost unique position of Iceland, and the political definition of Greenland, wasn't much or at all in these people's contemplation when the rules were drawn up; it appears to have been expected that the QSO would occur between Ireland and eastern US/Canada.

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You would have a pretty tough time convincing the group that sponsors the Brendon Trophy that "Greenland" or parts of Ireland are considered "North America." Good luck with THAT, and contact between Ireland and "Europe" (the "Continent") on 2 Meters isn't all THAT rare. Good luck with THAT.:rolleyes:
    You may also want to read (quote?) further parts of the Brendon Trophy requirements:

2. Arbitration of Awards:
    The Awards will be presented on the unanimous decision of an honorary Awards Panel established by the IRTS comprising at least three people one of whom shall be designated as chairperson. In the case of a member of the Panel leaving or being unable to act, for whatever reason, the remaining member(s) will make a recommendation for a replacement. However the final decision on the composition of this Panel rests with the Committee of the IRTS. In the case of a Claim in which one or more of the members of the Panel is closely involved, the member(s) so involved will stand down and replacement appointments will be made. When considering a Claim for the Trophies, the Panel may co-opt whomsoever it chooses in order to reach an informed decision.

3. Location of the Stations:
    The two stations involved must be located on land or non-tidal waterways within the continental shelves of Europe and America as defined [b]. Note that the limit of the continental shelf of Europe is deemed to lie along the line of maximum depth between the European land mass and Iceland, while that of North America is defined to lie along the line of maximum depth between Canada and Greenland.

The rules for the award quite specifically DEFINE what is considered the Continents (or continental limits) of Europe and North America, regardless of what anyone else says, or claims.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  4. W2EV

W2EV Ham Member QRZ Page

I still believe that the most likely way of spanning the Atlantic is via troposheric ducting. As such, when the band opens it will be detectable well inland of coastal waterways. Looking for "edge cases" of where continents exist is futile.

When the KH6-W6 path opens (and it is approximately the same geometry and geography as a Caribbean to EU path, btw), there is no question. Signals are quite adequate. The KH6-W6 advantage is that operators are on the same frequency raster/plan. The challenge between EU and NA is that the band plans don't match so detecting the opening is significantly more difficult.

That is the reason for suggesting a "smart beaconing" system such as APRS. EU stations could be setup with yagi's to RX on the NA APRS frequency while TXing on the EU APRS frequency. NA participants would do the opposite. When signals appear...a lot of people would know it. :)

-Ev, W2EV

5. WA9SVD

Some here think it is so "easy," but there have been a LOT of attempts over the years. If it IS so easy, why don't some of those who believe it IS so easy, have the Brendon already?:confused:

The KH6-W6 duct is unique, there are not the same conditions existing across the Atlantic (and I believe the distance of the Atlantic crossing is greater than the Pacific duct, although for a truly good duct, the absolute distance may not be significant.) But a duct HAS to form in the first place; so far, (evidently) that has not been observed.

6. W2EV

W2EV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've re-scanned this thread and can't find anyone saying it was easy. The KH6-W6 duct is unique only in the perspective that there are people actively listening for signals. The approach that I've outlined addresses that squarely for the Atlantic theater.

What we need is a mountaintop in the Caribbean that has either electricity available or a site that can accommodate sufficient solar power to support the equipment noted above. Then...let "time" pass until success is observed (or so much time passes as to discount the possibility).

Ev, W2EV

7. WA9SVD

A site in the Caribbean would probably NOT qualify as a Brendon station:(; see the actual requirements quoted above. (It would also have to be acceptable to the Brendon committee.) The KH6-W6 duct is VERY popular, because it IS "EASY," when it forms, often a mere H-T can make contacts. The Brendon prize is much more difficult (or it would ALREADY have been won, or at least claimed.) And there ARE dedicated operators who actually DO actively monitor 2 Meters for signals!

8. W2EV

W2EV Ham Member QRZ Page

The strategy that I've outlined is not intended to attain the trophy any more than hearing the KH6 CW beacon is considered a QSO. It is intended to be a 24/7/365 indicator of transatlantic propagation that can be used to alert human beings to give it a go. Think of it as being the equivalent of "fishing radar", used to alert fishermen to the presence of their target so they don't waste time trying to catch something that isn't there.

In fact, the strategy could be applied anywhere along the eastern US seacoast. It is just that the geography from the Caribbean to EU mimics that of KH6-W6 so seems to be a good starting point.

The KH6-W6 duct is very popular because there are active stations monitoring. The above strategy leverages this.

I believe that a transatlantic duct forms with regularity (as I predicted in print in QST and RadCom in 2000). This has been proven now at lower latitudes. It is only a matter of time until the correct strategy is employed to both detect and exploit it.

9. WA9SVD

A matter of time? Well, that is probably true. But somehow, I don't think you are the first to think of such methods of predicting propagation on 2 Meters. It's not like there hasn't been serious attempts, and the Brendon Trophy wasn't exactly established yesterday; hams here and across "The Pond" have been trying since well before the Brendon prizes were actually established in 1995.

10. W2EV

W2EV Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, I don't remember saying I am the first to think of such methods. If you are aware of others, please name them by callsign. I'd love to collaborate with them.

Of course others have been trying since the trophy was established. None have used the approach I've outlined here, though.