Brendan Prize - what has been tried?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by M0AGP, Jun 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am aware of the successful and amazing 2m transatlantic two way contact in 2019 on FT8. I was wondering what has been tried so far?

I know EME isn’t allowed, but have people on both sides with EME arrays and full legal limit power tried on FT8?

It’s always interesting to hear about the heroic efforts behind these things!

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Many, many have tried over the years,:rolleyes: but none have (so far) succeeded.:confused: There are too many description to list here, this might actually be a good place to say "G**GLE" is your friend, or other search engines, if you can wade through the gazillion results.

For those that don't know, (in a nut shell,) the Brendon Trophy is for a CONFIRMED terrestrial (satellite contacts don't count) two way contact on 2 Meters between the U.S. and Europe. (Other "trans-Atlantic " contacts don't count.) The exact details can be found on-line for those who wish further info. It's an interesting (and obviously formidable) challenge!

M0AGP likes this.
  3. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for that - I guess people will have pointed kilowatt powered EME arrays at each other’s beam heading and used super slow digital modes that can connect below the noise floor etc. Inspiring! Will start web-searching.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

We all DREAM(!) of a SSB contact to obtain the coveted prize, but some digital mode (perhaps FT8) will be more likely:(, with full power and VERY good antennas. But we (amateurs) still continue to try, if our equipment is "up" to it. I'm sure SOMEDAY the conditions will be "just right."

M0AGP likes this.