break

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4YWN, Sep 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Shave and a haircut, 2 bits?

2. KE9EX

KE9EX Subscriber QRZ Page

"QST" once said that "HI" was from American Morse Landline Telegraph code, where it was
    originally "HO" (a la Santa Claus). ".... . ." That's what they sent to mean laughter.

The "O", dit-space-dit, became "I", dit dit, in Radiotelegraph Code.

That's all I know about it.

3. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, to "Break" on the land-line telegraph, you would close the key, thereby causing the electromagnets on all of the sounders on the line to pull in making communication impossible. The shorting bar on a code key or bug is for this purpose.

4. W2AI

W2AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope! You got it all wrong about "HI HI HI". This is where that came from:

W2REA likes this.
  5. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Schematics disagree.

Think about it. The batteries, morse relays, amd keys are all in series. Any open key deenergizes the morse relays and the sounders stop functioning.

Wiring it this way lets all parties know if the circuit is open. If the line fails everyone knows why. If someone needs to break in they simply need to open thier key.

6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No. Good guess, though.

HI for laughter goes back to the days of American Morse and railroad telegraph, pre-radio. The letter "O" in American Morse is almost the same as the letter "I" -- both consist of two dits, the difference being that O has a slightly longer space between the two dits.

So, HI is actually HO -- another way to indicate laughter, though most of us these days associate the word with the big guy in the red outfit; no, not the one from a resort island in the northeast, the one who allegedly lives at the North Pole.

In short, when we send HI HI HI for laughter, we're actually sending a slightly modified version of American Morse to send HO HO HO.

...well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'm sure someone reading this is already trying to debunk it, just to prove their superiority...

KK6NOH likes this.
  7. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

what I heard is, Morse hihi sounds like laughter. bit of a stretch IMHO.

8. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of CW ops send it as didididit dit dit... "hee hee".

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

break

iu.jpg

10. KD4IYI

KD4IYI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hihi is used because of the speed of sending, think of sending the word l a u g h in code... There are 5 letters, composed of both dits and dahs... Like the word Paris... Then think of how much faster it would be to send 4 letters that consist only if the shorter dits... You can literally almost send it twice in the length of time it takes to send laugh... Same with the prosigns... Bk, sk, etcetera it's the original leet speek...

Seannon