Brand Spanking New

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by FRENCHIE, Nov 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. FRENCHIE

FRENCHIE QRZ Member

I am TOTALLY brand spanking new to the hobby of Amateur Radio (lol), and when I mean brand spanking new I mean I don't even know where to begin. After doing a small (very small) bit of research I've gone out and bought a Baofeng UV82L and have gone about putting it together with no idea where to go from here. I was looking for a club to join where I could get some assistance; but, with times being what they are right now I can't seem to find one that is open in one of the areas I frequent. Most Youtube videos that I've watched are geared towards people with a general understanding in what they are looking for; of which I have none. I am truly a blank state.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to getting my license or how to setup the radio some help would be appreciated,

Thanks

KL7KN likes this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you looking to learn more about the technology behind the radio or mostly interesting is chatting with other folks?

The ARRL (shudder) has a series of book aimed at folks just like you.

If you are mostly interested in the tech, there is a series of US Navy publication that covers 'radio' from DC to daylight.
    https://maritime.org/doc/neets/mod01.pdf

Good luck. And if you are going to hang out here, better grow a thick skin as some folks can be 'abrasive' which is the better A word.

3. FRENCHIE

FRENCHIE QRZ Member

I work in aviation and have plenty thick skin lol. I just watched a YouTube vid where they suggested the AARL, is that not a good source?

And I was looking to chat with other folks and listen in ... I just tried listening to the local ATC frequencies but can't get that to work for some reason =\

4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

The 'issue' set with the ARRL is they way is is run (think Emperor is always right/totally tone deaf) so a lot of folks don't care the the organization. You can chose for you.

As for using the Bofang - never had one of the Hencho en China VHF rigs, so can't help with that.

5. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

B.HAM REVEALS COST OF NEW RIG.jpg
    HAM REVEALS COST OF NEW RIG

A.IT WAS EITHER FIX MY TEETH OR BUY A NEW HAM RADIO1.jpg

NEW HAM UNSURE IF HE REALLY NEEDS TO STAND WHEN TOLD TO STAND BY.jpg
    NEW HAM UNSURE IF HE REALLY NEEDS TO STAND WHEN TOLD TO STAND BY

---LAYNE AE1N

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you in the USA?

7. KD8DEY