Brain Freeze during rag chews

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KI4ODO, Jul 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. M0PHE

M0PHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeedy. Write it down and hang a word behind. If you hang behind you won't make the mistake of incorrectly anticipating what's coming.

2. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For ME , I write down pertinent numerical data ..... I am NOT a savant .....

All important spots of a QSO which are needed to be forever remembered , I make notes ....

For just general run of the mill rag chewing , notes are not always necessary ...

A person needs to be really proficient to ' comfortably ' head copy .... In other words ,
    know CW well enough so it is really just another language .....

JMHO ....

JB

W5BIB and WR2E like this.
  3. M0PHE

M0PHE Ham Member QRZ Page

As M6GYU is an ex Royal Navy Radio Operator I suspect you may be preaching to the choir :rolleyes:

M6GYU likes this.
  4. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All good comments, just keep up the cw contacts and as time goes by your ability to copy morse will improve. Have found a combination of head copy and writing down seems to work well.

5. KB0TT

If you noticed ..... I ' liked ' what he posted .. Our strategies are congruent .

JB

M6GYU likes this.
  6. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the input everyone. Yesterday was a good day for copying. However one rag chew was constantly interrupted by a barking beagle vs a barking rat terrier lol. The other op was polite and understood,,,even sent me a hi hi about it :) I even felt bad after the frustrated scream of "SHUT UP!!" They gave me the sad look,,,and ended up getting a treat for being quiet lol.

The responses have been helpful and encouraging, thanks a bunch! I'm just gonna stick with it. Plus I realized looking at my log that I havent been on the air quite as much as I thought. Life gets busy. I'm going to try to get back to my (at least) 2-3 qso's per evening, most evenings like I was doing back in the winter and spring. That should help too.

K7TRF likes this.
  7. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last night was much much better. I re-read these posts, then got on the air for some good rag chewing. One was cut short politely, one was rubber stamp, and a couple of others were a little beyond rubber stamp. I slowed down just a tick, remembering that this isn't a race, it's for enjoyment. Thanks for the advice :)

KA0HCP and KB0TT like this.
  8. VK3KTT

VK3KTT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KB0TT likes this.
  9. KB0TT

Any source of CW is good .....

One thing I might tell you is that , when in Dayton ( 2003 ) , I signed up
    for ' FISTS ' ....... They asked me how I was going to pay for the membership ....

I told them that I learned morse 25 years before they started THEIR club .....

MY fault ! I thought that it MIGHT be a FREE club .......

Everyone today is out there to make MONEY on the CW thing these days .....

My mistake .... Shame on ME .....

JB

10. KB9CFH

KB9CFH Ham Member QRZ Page

If you need practice at work or where you can't use a radio, try CW communicator. ( CwComm ) by MRX software.
    MORSE CODE over the internet with out a radio.
    Also if you are into maritime operations and need some practice off ship try SUPERALDIS 3 .
    It CAN be used as a computer to computer program. It just doesn't have any help files.