BPSK-31 AND RTTY USERS QUESTION ON HAMSCOPE?

Discussion in 'Digital Radio, DMR, Fusion, Wires, DSTAR' started by M0DED, Jun 8, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0DED

M0DED Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All,

I'm getting back into ham radio after a long break, and must say that QRZ has been an immense help to me!

I have an ICOM IC-751a that I have hooked up to my old Dell E6400 computer, using FT8 and JSCALL with CAT via VOX on the radio, which works very well. I much prefer JSCALL to FT8 as I don't want to just collect exotic call signs, I enjoy a keyboard rag chew.

When I was last active, more than 10 years ago I had many QSO's on BPSK-31 and some on RTTY. That was using an ICOM IC-745 and Hamscope. I have downloaded Hamscope and tried to install it but get a persistent error message "Cannot open soundcard, try again?" The problem is, this message is IMMEDIATE and there's no chance to enter setup and adjust anything. I am running Windows 10 on this machine.

I am not a software/computer fundi and am totally baffled. I would really like to get Hamscope running as it is/was great program. All and any help will be most gratefully received. Hopefully I can get the program running, and my next question would be - on what frequencies is the activity?

Charles (M0DED)

2. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From https://www.qsl.net/hamscope/

" Windows XP and Newer: HamScope seems to work on Windows XP at some reasonable level, although it is not tested or supported on XP. There may be remaining issues with saving window size settings and some users report occasional problems with communications with the MMTTY RTTY engine. Support for Windows Vista and newer variants is not planned at this time."

My suggestion would be to adopt Fldigi. It'll work fine under Windows 10.

http://www.w1hkj.com/

3. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 has virtually killed other digital modes. You occasionally will find PSK31 on the "070" watering holes, and RTTY is still used for RTTY contests. My understanding is that RTTY ragchews are also dead.

Airlink Express is a simple-to-setup PSK/RTTY program - http://www.airlinkexpress.org/

N5AF likes this.
  4. M0DED

I installed the MTTY engine, and that seems to work but I've only done that yesterday. I also have FLDIGI but not too much success so far.

My brother got me interested in FT8 via the Genesis SDR radio he designed. But I quickly got bored. Yes, you can make QSO's over amazing distances, but the "communication" abilities are strictly limited. Which is why I'm now using JS8CALL. You can have an actual, real QSO.

I am a chatty person, and remember something I read many years ago, "Generally speaking, radio hams are generally speaking." That of course alluded to phone, but I am the same, on digital. My computer is connected the mike in on the radio, but the microphone itself is not.

5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I run PSK-31 and RTTY a lot..... and use Ham Radio Delux. It works great with both Win 10 (not my favorite) and Win7.... and fully supports my TS-440. You can either get a paid version, or download an earlier "last free version". (If you are using Win10, I'd recommend the paid version). You may also want to buy a SignaLink. It's basically a USB soundcard, that really makes the connection simple. It's WAY better than VOX

About FT8: been there. it's about as much fun as watching paint dry.

6. M0DED

Hi will ham radio deluxe work with audio input and output from my ICOM IC-751? Roger on FT8

7. KK4NSF

duplicate post (sorry :confused:)

8. KK4NSF

Ham Radio Delux does work with the IC-751. So does the SignaLink.... just be sure you get the right cables for your radio, and a jumper module. Their website will show you what you need. The SignaLink is a usb/sound card type device, and should work with your Win10.

9. M0DED

Thank you very much. I'll try both programmes

10. M0DED

What I like about JS8 is the outstanding weak signal performance due to the low data rate (Shannon) BPS31 and RTTY just can't hold a candle, though PSK21 is a "fairly" low data rate.