ad: vanity

Bouncing radio signals off the Moon? Yeah, but on 10 GHz?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by VK7HH, Sep 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great. So not only have we turned the moon into a junk yard but, we may have contaminated it with bacteria as well.

2. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

I know this is an old thread.
    I found this a good explanation of the increased heating effect with increasing RF frequency:

pp14

"Photons carry the smallest unit of energy that can be conveyed by electromagnetic waves.
    The energy E of a single photon is:
    E = hf [Joules]
    where h is Planck’s constant (6.624×10-34
    [Joule seconds]) and f is the photon frequency [Hz]."

[I add: f is the frequency of the e-m wave were looking at; or rather should not be looking into.]

"Sometimes it is more convenient to think of electromagnetic waves as continuous waves, and sometimes it is more convenient to think of them as consisting of particles (photons), each of energy E. The total power P conveyed by an electromagnetic wave at frequency f is therefore the number N of photons passing per second times the photon energy E:"

Total P (power) is proportionately related to frequency.
    E = hf. (Of the e-m wave).
    So, the higher the frequency, in all cases, the more energy, where we consider the photon as ...
    here I go, ... excuse me ..,
    a virtual component of the e-m wave.
    A mathematical deconstruction of the quanta ... like I said, excuse me.
    160 Ghz is proportionally more dangerous than 160 Mhz for the same power of transmission.
    (
    Physicists have previously enjoyed to talk a mysterious language that kept the layman boggled).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  3. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, man; now I feel sorry for the chicken!

4. W4OP

W4OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, high antenna gain but the increased free space path loss offsets that.
    Dale W4OP

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You find a spherical chicken, and I'll find the vacuum...:p:rolleyes:

6. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Genetically-modified spherical chickens well-suited for placement in vacuums are known as the Dyson-Tyson sub-species.

Learn something new almost everyday on the Internet!

K6CLS likes this.
  7. G6YZC

G6YZC Ham Member QRZ Page

wa3lbi dish.jpg

10GHz EME is certainly doable. This was WA3LBI the weekend he and I worked VK7UM on 10 GHz EME. VK7UM was using a 70cm dia dish.

K0UO likes this.