Bouncing radio signals off the Moon? Yeah, but on 10 GHz?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by VK7HH, Sep 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

After looking more closely at the video, the power density in the near-field has to be revised.

An 1 m dish has a surface area of about 0.75 m^2, so the maximum power density in front of the antenna is around 300 W/m^2. This is above the allowed limits for occupational exposure.

The "hypothetical chicken" would cook in a somewhat shorter time in the near-field.

Eye damage from concentrated microwave radiation is real, but it takes power densities
    orders of magnitude above what can be achieved in front of a realistically sized
    aperture antenna.

The documented cases have been related to looking into waveguide feeds, and to the infamous incidents related to deep-heat treatment of sinusitis by microwave heating that was - briefly - tried in the 60s.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I'll put a sign on it

Do not look into waveguide with remaining eye

AK5B and K3RLD like this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Either way, in a vacuum, the chicken is a dead duck.:oops::rolleyes:

4. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Dr. Carpenter claimed to cause cataracts in monkeys with microwave energy but in his initial report failed
    to mention that the level was so high it killed the animal.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WD4IGX and AK5B like this.
  5. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If slow cooking, I prefer to smoke a brined chicken over pecan and apple wood.

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

nothing beats fresh armadillo or possum road kill, on the radiator of a '54 Chevy for 60-70 miles.

7. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Am I invited?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If 10 Ghz bounced off of the moon, It bounced off of the American Flag pole.

VK7HH and WA9SVD like this.
  9. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Or the remnants of a couple of Apollo landers...

10. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page