ad: Winterfest-1

Bought HF Radio While Having Technician Class License

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4ICU, Jan 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

I've recently bought a Yaesu FT450D HF radio recently. I only have my Technician ticket at the moment. A few people have commented that maybe I bought something I wasn't ready for (I should of maybe waited to get it after the General class). My reasoning was to be able to transmit CW on the HF bands I have privlages on, and to have something already in place to grow into.... Not to mention just buy the stuff now when I have not many responsibility. I've already had a Kenwood 2 meter radio set up in place, so that is something I had access to anyways. Any thoughts on this? I think I made a good choice.

Also, anyone have any "interesting" or "cool" things they've done with what privlages they've had on their Technician class ticket?

2. N5NXZ

N5NXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't listen to them. Play with CW, heck put up a 10 meter vertical and call CQ on SSB. Sure the bands are dead yea yea I know all that. Yea you probably won't get any response. But you learn by doing, only so much book reading can be done. Go ahead and get your HF station setup and have fun. Study for your General, Study for your Extra and enjoy CW and SSB on 10m right now so when you have your upgrade you know how to use your gear and are comfortable with it. Have fun! Hope to hear you on the air!

W7JZE, KV6O, N5OCO and 11 others like this.
  3. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

just ignore the self appointed "band police", they were bullied as children and haven't gotten over it

have fun, get on the air, and listen alot

W7JZE, W7DCM, N4FLF and 8 others like this.
  4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a FT-450D and it does a great job on CW and digital modes.

I'd learn CW and also get your general...new world opens up. :)

W7JZE, WA7PRC and KM4SII like this.
  5. KT5MR

KT5MR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jeffrey,

Welcome to amateur radio. No, I think you did just fine. The 450D is a fine radio -- I'm actually thinking of getting one as a spare. I was first licensed six years ago and got my first HF rig very quickly. You will grow into that radio.

A large part of HF is learning how to listen and experimenting with antennas, which is something you certainly can do now with the 450D.

And absolutely, go for your General soon. I really consider the Technician exam and the General exam to be parts 1 and 2 of the same test. (I got mine a month apart.)

If you can connect your rig to a computer (for the 450D, getting a Signalink USB would be ideal). One cool thing to play with is WSPR in listen-only mode. You'll be able to see just what signals you can pick up (and when, which will help you understand propagation that captivates so many of us.

6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I had my 820 before when I had my tech license. We had a local tech net on 10m so I could join in there. Contests are on 10m to so when these are going there will be some activity to be had up to 28.500. Occasionally 10m does open into South America so even with the crappy conditions there are opportunities on hf.
    Listening to people on 20m especially special events and dxepiditions will be a great learning experience so when you upgrade you'll be prepared for the frey.

7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, You have full RTTY, DATA privs on 10 meters. 200 watts max.

right now FT8 activity on 10 is the hot ticket .

You made a good selection with the FT 450D.
    Good Luck

KB2SMS likes this.
  8. AB6RF

AB6RF Ham Member QRZ Page

6m!
    The FT450 gives you 6m band, where you have full access to all the modes. Antennas are easy to make and very interesting propagation happens on the 6m band.

WE4E and WZ7U like this.
  9. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur radio is not limited to push button to access 2 meter repeater and how and when you get higher ticket.
    You could learn about propagation so you can ignore the "bands are dead " whining as already mentioned- in positive way.

There are beacons on 10 meters so you do not need to call CQ nilly-Willy.
    There is a technology called "RBN" - Reverse beacon network - all you "need" is basic computer knowledge to czech that out.
    Experiment with receiving antennas etc.
    Find what floats your boat...
    Never say die
    73 Shirley

W7JZE and VK4HAT like this.
  10. AG1W

AG1W Ham Member QRZ Page

Don’t listen to the Nay Sayers, you can use band you have privileges in, listen to the others and now you have an incentive you look at everyday to get you General or Extra. As far as ideas on Tech don’t really have any ever really having a Tech