ad: Schulman-1

Boondocks and Campsite Operating

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by N8AFT, Aug 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Had time to hit a campsite, set up a tent, make simple meals on an alky stove, try new gear out this week.
    It wasn't a walk in site so the car was nearby. I set up a vert made frm 6' aluminum sections slit with a hacksaw and tightened with hose clamps. I spose it's 30 odd feet. I run 10Ah LiFePo4 batteries and a fold-up solar panel. The vert is secured to a plank and 1-1/4" pipe which the tube slides into snug. Rig; Xiegu G-90 @ 20w.
    G-90 has a capable ant tuner built in. I was using a LDG 4:1 Un-Un and 25' coax, no RF choke. My ant analyst showed the choke being a problem so I ran without it and was fine. Used my MFJ ant analyst to tweek.
    20 watts of CW is plenty. If I heard them I worked them. Bands were 30 and 40m. Best to reply than call CQ.
    From Western Ohio I worked NY, NC, IA, GA and ON CA.
    Simple lash-ups work fine and bein outdoors operating from a stool at the tailgate is great fun when you aren't hiking etc.
    I'm happy to answer any questions if I can...

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

K7WFM, GOMAD, KU4X and 8 others like this.
  2. KB1OJW

KB1OJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a great set up. How long do the LiFePo4 batteries last before they need recharging? Are you using the Bioenno batts?

N8AFT likes this.
  3. N8AFT

No Bioenno. I did get a Bioenno LiFePo controller though.
    I hv a FT857 which I've found it drawing <10amps @ 30watts CW key down.
    Xiegu G-90 though is THE rig to hv for minimum power consumption at UNDER 4 amps key dn CW 20w.
    Batteries are 12v 10ah Dakota Lithium batteries factory direct... 3 to 4 in parrallel or singular...
    One 'bad feature' to note is when the voltage drops low enough the battery protect or the rig's protect circuit will shut down the rig during a QSO.
    I hv alligators on my pwr lead for a quick change to a second battery.
    As far as time before discharge or disconnect goes; It's so variable with how much time used in transmit and if the charge state is 100% or less.
    Consider a 10ah battery supplying 4 amps at 100% duty cycle would give us about 8ah of demand, so we'd be looking at about 2hrs and ? minutes @ 100% key down use.
    I'm getting 4 hrs of 20w routine rag chew CW QSO's in a session on one 10ah battery.
    20 watts of CW is more potent than you would first believe til you've tried it.
    Hope to be AC mains independent in the home shack this winter for lighting and rigs.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    K7WFM and KA0HCP like this.
  4. N8AFT

Workin from the YL's garage tday, have the vert stretched out to 31"...
    Tuning and loading easily on 80-40 es 30... now, whar is everybody?

5. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sittin' here posting on da Zed instead of playing radio! :(

Regards,
    -Bruce

6. N8AFT

A tent camp CW expedition is being planned for September 9-11 AEP Recreation Lands in Morgan County Ohio.
    There are neumerous RV and tent camping sites and equine only campsites. Year around free access.
    NO ATV's of any kind are allowed anywhere so it's a calm and peaceful environment. MANY good fishing lakes.
    The camping is FREE and the needed permit is FREE and PDF printable on line. I just sign it and carry it with me.
    The WX looks cool and dry so I'm sure I will really enjoy myself.
    I'm planning to be active round the clock when I'm not hiking etc. 10.114 7.060 3.560 being monitored/favored...
    Rigs will be an FT-857 and a Xiegu G-90 both QRO es QRP with a 175w flexi solar panel and 100ah LiFePo battery.
    Antenna will be my trusty 31' aluminum vert held down by my car's rear or front tire and a few odd length radials.
    Likely bring along an extry 35' of wire to make up an inverted L from the tip of my vert for the first time...

W7EDC likes this.
  7. N8AFT

Just got bk home, a great outing, lots of CW activity on 30-40-80 and 160! Used my 30 odd foot tubing propped up
    aginst to RV fiberglass body, Xiegu G90's tuner works vy well ineed!

K7WFM likes this.
  8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Any photos to share?

Always like to see field setups.

KP4SX likes this.
  9. N8AFT

We cavemen have no modern mobile devices, sri...
    I took the Toyota Mini Cruiser instead of a tent.
    Rainy windy at night and cold in the lower 40f...
    Leaves just beginning to get some color!

10. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a good set up and a few good outings.

I deploy a similar antenna setup when camping. A 31ft Jackite extending pole with a 31 foot wire running up to the top. The pole is strapped to the RV ladder. A 4:1 unun or a 9:1 unun with one 31 ft radial at the base. I can always make contacts on most bands with this setup using a small auto tuner and QRP power levels. 0605182018.jpg DSCN2104.JPG

W1TOD, KJ7LSM and K0UO like this.