ad: SDRKits-1

book: Successful Wire Antennas

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W7CJD, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

KU3X and NH7RO like this.
  2. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

The RSGB publishes many good, useful books on radio.

The book in question dates from 2012 and is indeed in print.

I think most people starting out in ham radio buy wire antennas. Commercial end fed. Which cost them several times the cost of making one at home.

When I began hamming, we all used tube transmitters with adjustable output circuits. So most of
    us just stuck a piece of wire in the antenna connector, loaded it up and made some contacts.

Wire: it was there at the start of radio. If will always be there. Good for antennas and more.

K0UO, W7CJD and NH7RO like this.
  3. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good points above.

KE6EE; when I clicked on your QRZ page I discovered a trivial but remarkable coincidence when I saw your address was 207 C Street---I used to live at 207 D Street back in the mid-1970s ! Small world, isn't it? I can still smell the Acacia trees around the neighborhood blooming there in the fall.

Jeff

4. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

San Rafael is still a small town, but I much prefer the version 40 or 50 years ago. Much less traffic and RFI for two things.
    But everything still grows here in addition to acacia weeds. Neighbor across the alley from me has bananas.

Which is where I am probably going.

I grew up in the City and spent many weekends hiking in Marin in the 50s. Marin in those days was where your uncle lived who
    couldn't hold a job but liked drinking beer with teenager nephews. Now these streets are lined with Teslas, the flats rent for $5k a month
    and I'm too old and creaky to be noticed.

Thanks for the note Jeff.

NH7RO likes this.
  5. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Know exactly what you mean, Mike; I'm kind of the same here. I shared that house on D street with a couple of gals and another guy and the rent was pocket change compared to what it is today; I double-checked the address on Zillow and saw that 1909 cottage is worth a million and a quarter+ now.

I used to park my old BMW motorcycle in that white garage down at the street level just where Wolfe Grade straightens out into D; it was always fun to wind through the twisties before "landing" there.

I knew about ham radio back then but was content to dx on 11 meters sideband until one of the neighbors complained about me getting into their TV with my Tempo One and Ringo Ranger... (tsk-tsk, please don't tell :oops:). I eventually got my ticket but never got into CW like you but totally respect and admire the mode. Maybe I'll give it a go before I get too old to learn...who knows? Life whizzes past us all too fast these days.

That looks like another good book from the RSGB, too---I'll have to check that out, too.

Jeff

6. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

In my mind, "Any book that tells you how to make a good, efficient, resonant antenna is a good book to have. I have a large collection of antenna books.

Not to take away from your suggestion, but my two books of choice to have are 1. The ARRL Antenna Handbook 2. ON4UN's Low Band DX'ing.

Like I always tell new hams, "Focus on your antenna !" A dummy load has a 1 to 1 SWR across the entire HF frequency range. How many contacts are you going to make with a dummy load?

Barry, KU3X
    www.ku3x.net

K0UO likes this.
  7. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

KU3X,

I have both of the books you mentioned.

Were you able to proceed without further help?

I do not see that amount of information in those books.

I see an introduction to a subject, or topic, with little practical application or substance.

I spent too much money on such books from ARRL until I finally gave up.

I have been searching for books I can recommend.

I like Gordon West, and now, this one.

I usually have to recommend something online.

It is refreshing to have found such a well written book as this: Successful Wire Antennas,

..and that is why I put up a thread in the forum to recommend it.

K0UO and NH7RO like this.
  8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

ON4UN's book is absolutely essential. Even if one does not intend any low band activities. Minor factoid, I once QSOed with John, but on 15m, of course his signal was perfect.

personally I am off of the ARRL Antenna Book. Recent editors have not curated it, it's the same articles as 30 years ago. The magloop section is appalling, very poor, wrong, missing information, etc. Magloops could have a book of their own. (and they do.) No one uses Lindenblad or other helix antennas for satellites these days. (I shouldn't say that, I'm sure someone will pipe up here.) etc. etc. Dean's software is nice but sheesh TLW could have been done as a spreadsheet or something more portable. (Why do I not complain about the DOS software and "GUI" included in Low Band DXing?)

anyways my current favorite is "Practical Antenna Handbook", Joseph Carr & George Hippisley. Very straightforward and, well, practical.

I will get a copy of Successful Wire Antennas.

Enjoy!

K0UO likes this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with ON4UNs book as being excellent and also with the ARRL antenna book being very dated, when I first got my license back in the sixties the ARRL antenna handbook was my Bible, but not so now.

10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to get him again he's not hard to catch on 40m CW during the darkness months. I have him there multiple times (but NOT on 80 or 160m!).

AH7I and K6CLS like this.