Boatanchormania or is it just greed

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA7KKP, Dec 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. mackinac

mackinac Banned

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WB2WIK @ Dec. 30 2002,15:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
    He thought for a minute, and said, &quot;When I think about it, nothing, I guess. I've had these for 70 years, and I'm sure I didn't pay anything more for them than what's shown on the coins. Okay, you can have it for $20.&quot;

So, I bought it. It may be worth $250 to a coin collector, but I'm not one. To me, it's worth $20. What I could buy with it at the grocery store, and nothing more.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

What could you really buy with it at the grocery store? Would most grocery stores even accept a double Eagle? Even if it says $20 on it, few people have ever seen one. You might have to take it to a gold dealer or coin dealer. Considering that a double Eagle has about $330 worth of gold in it, you'd be able to buy a lot of groceries.

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

yes, hams love to get a deal on used gear and love even more to get top dollar for the used gear they are selling, nothing new there....a basic rule of supply and demand also applies to used vintage ham gear.  if a ham wants to sell a dx-60 for $500.00 and there is a willing buyer....what is the problem...hamfest, while i would agree are down in recent years in terms of old gear,are still a good place to get a deal.  you just need to get past the avon and computer junk i.e. in the last 2-3 yrs heath at-1 $25.00 gonset g-28 $25.00, hallicrafters ht32b
    $85.00 etc. dan,k3xr

3. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

I wish I still had the Collins 32V I bought for $20 in 1975, or the 75A1 I paid $125 for in 1987.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ebay has one thing going for it. If someone else is bidding against you, it's very possibly worth what it's going for. Of course the other bidder might just be as misinformed as you are. One never knows.

I happen to enjoy ebay, and have done ok buying. I've done surprisingly well selling some things. And greed doesn't come into this at all. If nobody is pointing a gun at your head forcing you to buy, then you are doing what you choose to do as the buyer. Price too high? Just say no. Problem solved.

Good luck,

4. G4REK

G4REK Ham Member QRZ Page

Isnt it bloody daft, we see over here rubbish 19 sets completely beat up, that looks as though somebody has spent days with a rotary wire brush on front panel, going for 125 pounds. I would hesitate to swop a bag of marbles for them.......
    Jim....G4REK

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Caveat Emptor and all that good stuff, but I fail to see why anyone would ever buy anything non-essential that they can't at least touch prior to purchase, be it a good deal or bad.

The internet has succeeded in making idiots of common people.

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, Steve, there are a lot of amateur radio operators who don't live in an area that has a high number of amateurs and who do have to rely on &quot;long distance&quot; sales to get what they want (not always &quot;need&quot;, but just &quot;want&quot;). Frankly, I have only had two of these &quot;long distance&quot; dealings that were not the best. The first was a Tempo SSB rig that I traded an Astron power supply for. The rig was supposedly in very good condition and working. Well, someone had changed the 10 meter band over to 11 meters and the rig was not working. Of course, the amateur with whom I was trading disappeared (he did have a very new call sign). Fortunately, I was able to sell the rig as a &quot;project&quot; to someone (making sure that the other person knew what was going on) who was looking for a &quot;project&quot; Tempo. I actually made about $10 from what the Astron was worth.

The other was an eBay sale that the person who was buying the item never came across with the funds and thus never got the item. Although that person did not have any negative comments at the time, he had within a couple of weeks about 20 for doing the same thing.

If the item that I am trading for (usually trading, not buying) is worth much, I do insist on seeing several photos of the item including &quot;close ups&quot; of the circuitry, etc. So far, I haven't been &quot;taken&quot;. On eBay purchases I usually only go for the smaller items and &quot;assume&quot; that there is something wrong. I have gotten a number of Ameco 6, 2, and 222 MHz converters for under $20 (often for under $10) including the older CB series (these are not for the &quot;Citizen's Band, just have CB-6 and CB-2 for model numbers) and the nuivistor series. So far everyone has worked. A few that I got for well under $10 did not have the crystal installed and I knew this from the photos. Fortunately, especially with the 6 meter converters, I can get crystals from Mouser for under $1 that work fine. In fact, I keep a stock of the various crystals around just for when I do come across such a converter (I am a &quot;bit&quot; of a computer &quot;junkie&quot; - don't know why, I just like the older VHF and UHF converters).

I am definitely willing to take digital photos of anything that I am trading or selling and will E-Mail them to whoever wants them. I usually align, change out the paper capacitors, etc., on anything that I am selling or trading unless it is a &quot;project&quot;. Then it is definitely &quot;as-is, where-is&quot; and I make sure that the person who is getting the item knows this. But, again, photos are definitely available. I insist that the same thing is done when I am getting an item.

Photos do not completely insure that what you are getting actually works, but with a bit of skill and knowledge you can get a pretty good idea if there is anything major wrong. Of course it is possible to be fooled, but, by and large, I have found that most amateurs are honest. There are a few who are not, and some of these have been licensed for years. But, I know the call signs and/or names of a lot of these persons and refuse to do business with them. There used to be one person who would keep trying to trade me a piece of junk worth maybe $50 for $1000 or more worth of parts, equipment, etc. Frankly, I don't know what was wrong with this person, but after I had refused numerous times, he would come back a couple of weeks later with the same offer! I really don't think he remembered who he was dealing with. I heard the same complaint from several others that he had contacted trying to trade. This same amateur would offer for sale something worth maybe $20 to $25 for $300 or more. I guess that he was hoping that someone would take him up on his offer, someone who didn't have a clue as to the value of something.

Then there are the people who see a Hallicrafters SX-88 on eBay go for several thousand dollars who think that their S-38D is worth the same amount because it was made by Hallicrafters. The same thing for a unit that is almost junk that is valued at the same amount as one in excellent condition. People just don't realize that condition does make a difference!

But, for a great number of people it is virtually impossible to actually &quot;feel&quot; the equipment before buying. They do need to know what they are buying (in terms of model, etc.) and what the &quot;market&quot; value of it really is. Unfortunately, in my opinion, &quot;guide books&quot; that give prices are not worth the paper that they are printed on. As a reference for what the equipment actually is, they can be a definite aid. But, there are just too many variables in pricing for these guide books to be used to set a definite price. I know that there are people who do market these price guides for both the antique/vintage radios and for amateur equipment in general. However, I don't use these when I set a price or for what I may offer for a radio.

Anyway, going back to the original post on this thread, what is paid for an item is between the seller and buyer. If the price is too high, then it will not sell. If it is too low, then the buyer gets a real good deal. What an item is worth is just what someone is willing to pay for it, no more, no less!

Glen, K9STH

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's certainly true that long before the internet, hams traded and sold used gear over long distances via ads in QST, etc. And, for the most part, those deals worked out okay for all concerned. I've &quot;sold&quot; this way (and also on eBay), but never &quot;bought&quot; this way. Just have never been interested enough in anything that I could touch, sniff, look at up close. Photos don't do it for me.

The &quot;few thousand dollar&quot; SX-88 has become famous, and was purchased by my virtual neighbor, WB6ACU, who collects excellent-condition boat anchors and uses them...and also has a great deal of money, more than most.

I've never been anyplace where I couldn't find used ham gear locally, and I've lived a lot of places. The internet has surely made people a bit lazier, though. I was on vacation in rural northern Vermont one time when I looked in the &quot;electronics&quot; section of the local newspaper's Want Ads section (the paper served a community of a few thousand at most) and found three ham rigs for sale. I've picked up the local &quot;Pennysaver&quot; or &quot;Recycler&quot; booklets at the 7-11 store in rural Arkansas, rural northwestern Oklahoma, and rural northern Utah and found ham gear in each one.

There are also &quot;swap nets&quot; on the air, accessible anywhere I've ever been, at least in the U.S. -- including Anchorage. Lots of stuff, all local deals.

I was visiting Bar Harbor, Maine (small town, 150 miles up the coast from the NH border and visited mostly by tourists, during the summer) when I noted a sign posted on a utility pole advertising a garage sale that day (Sunday). Drove by, hoping to find a rare antique for the house, and found a Heathkit Sixer on the table. Bought it for $15.

It's amazing what one finds, when one actually looks. I find that much more fun than eBay shopping, and the deals are better, too.

Steve WB2WIK/6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.