ad: M2Ant-1

BOATANCHOR BONANZA W8JI's RADIO RANCH - CANCELED 26 OCT 19

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KA4KOE, Oct 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

All,

The continuing threat of bad/wet weather and the state of the wet roads and fields around W8JI's place has forced a second cancellation. The percentages are 40-50% rain all day Saturday with overcast skies. I do not know if Tom will attempt to do this again in the future. We are getting into the end of the year holiday season and attendance after 1 Nov will likely be a tuffy in any event.

Thanks for your understanding. It would have been a hoot.

Fee-leep

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Bummer. :(

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Shades of Dayton.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Y'all need to come up here where we have decent WX.. :)

5. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe reschedule to the Spring?

Then I could visit my sister in Dahlonega while I am out there.

Pheel

6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You'd think that far south the wx would be okay. Up here, any outdoor fest is a dice roll except if it is in June, July or August. We have a few in May and September and I wish they would move into summer. The other problem hamfest organizers don't seem to see is that the population of attendees is both diminishing and aging. Not many of us are wild about standing around outside in 55 degree wx and rain. We're not 40 years old anymore. I like hamfests but unfortunately a lot of older hams prefer to lounge in their nice warm dens and look at eBay.

7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

September is not a bad month for hamfests. The sultry heat of summer is (usually) over, and it's getting into the driest season of the year. October would be better rain-wise, but that can be too chilly at some latitudes for a comfortable outdoor event. I used to enjoy the Cincinnati hamfest which took place about the 3rd weekend in September; the weather was usually delightful, although I remember it getting rained out a couple of times. Unfortunately, they had to change venue and it went downhill after that. I understand they still put it on, but it has morphed into a small local get-together. Back in the 60s and early 70s it used to give the Dayton fleamarket a run for its money for vintage gear.

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The fall Nearfest is in October, rain, shine, snow

9. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

I vote for a spring event, with advance notice to enable many to attend!

10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What's killing these hamfests that take place at time and locations when and where the wx is unreliable is that it takes months of planning to set up a hamfest so the date is an early commitment far ahead of the wx forecast. Then the wx for the weekend sucks and the fest gets hammered. Dayton is in even worse shape because the attendees have to commit early on as well (room reservations and flea market space) then they drive hundreds of miles and spend hundreds of dollars on gas, food, motels, etc. only to stand around for 2 or 3 days in 50 degree rain or sleet. I know at least a dozen guys who have quit going to Dayton for that reason. It's okay if all you sell are things like tower sections that can sit out in the rain. Many are sick and tired of all their stuff sitting out under plastic and getting wet anyway. There's no guarantee on good wx at any time, but there are increasing probabilities of good wx during certain months, like June, July and August for Ohio. I'm not picking on Dayton--there are plenty of other fests held at bad times of the year in my opinion.