Boat Anchor SSB Receiver

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7TAL, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

With two NC300s and two B&W 5100s, if you place those on your log book, it won't blow away.:)

2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

He needs a WRR-2A and Meissner 150B

3. KG6UTS

KG6UTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Wirly 2

I'd like to find a WRR2....and a WRT2, SSB upgrades to my SRT-15/R390S/RBC set up:)

4. AB3HT

AB3HT Ham Member QRZ Page

KG6UTS, I am jealous, I too have two national 300's, but I have No b&w 5100's, I want one.
    I do however, have a B&W 6100,it needs some work on the mode switch but is otherwise functional.
    Any spare 5100's for grabs?
    73, Ed.

5. KG6UTS

KG6UTS Ham Member QRZ Page

5100 wanted

Any spare 5100's for grabs?
    73, Ed.[/QUOTE]

If another 5100 or B shows up for a decent price I'll let you know. It would have to be a bargain to offset the shipping. Timonium is coming in March, usually has good BA hunting. I just finished a B&W L1000A to go with the 5100/51SB and NC-300 Lotta weight and square footage for the same function as an FT857D;)

EdZ KG6UTS
    San Diego

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I also had an HQ-170A and it wasn't that bad at all. I also had an SX-101A and my personal asessment is that the Hammarlund was a better reciever in many ways but the SX-101A if properly aligned was still an excellent receiver. I never owned an NC-300 but have had several National receivers including an NC-173, NC-183D, An HRO-50, and NC-270 and they were all quite good. The NC-270 was uglier than the NC-300 in my opinion, that creepy blue (ugh).

7. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

HELLO

far too many non SSB receivers listed
    yea sure

National
    love National receivers

have yet to own a National that was a great SSB receiver
    have owned a few NC-300's
    they are not bad on 75 es 40
    but
    in the words of Paul WA8CDM SK
    turn a NC-300 on its side it makes a good ash tray stand

Hallicrafters SX-101A same, not bad but not great

HQ-170 have one
    interesting receiver
    but in the end a disappointment
    willing to trade mine for general coverage receiver
    or fish mouth dial GE Tombstone

Collins 75A-4 good old receiver
    glad i got mine 20 years ago

Hallicrafters SX-115
    lucked out got one for 50 bucks

but heck they are going for too too
    much money

not big
    but have a soft spot for the Hallicrafters SX-117

if was starting from scratch

wanted a older tube receiver
    that is good at SSB, CW and AM
    would go for a Drake 2A or 2B

2A is a better AM receiver but works well on CW and AM
    the 2BQ, Q mult it really works

get a 2B and 2BQ

yours truly
    mac

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Just dont put any early Drake on a good antenna or its overload time. I tried using mine in the 64 ARRL CW DX contest and on 80-20M it was miserable. Thats when I got the 75A4 and modified it to the best CW receiver Ive ever used.

A R4B is a much better Drake choice including AM and they are stll nowhere near R4C prioces.

It takes very little to upgrade a NC-300 for better SSB plus there were several factory updates during production. Ive found that a big problem is that owners simply cant read the manual and understand how to use it.

Carl

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

With my first NC-300 all I did to make it more functional for SSB was add slow AGC to it. I drilled a hole in the panel labeled "fast/slow" and in the "slow" position just added an R-C circuit to slow the AGC down a lot. It sounded fine on SSB after that, and I could switch back to fast for AM.

Mod cost about $2.

Of course that was in about 1966.:p

I loved the 300 and 303. Mechanical marvels. Only thing I ever had to replace was the pilot lamps behind the dial drum and the S meter. Complete workhorses.

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The first step for a 300 should be converting the 2nd conversion oscillator to the 303 xtal circuit. Everyone that came to National for service after the 303 was out had the mod done at no cost. I couldnt even begin to count the ones I did.

A similar mod works as well in a NC-183D and HRO-60.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.