Boat Anchor SSB Receiver

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7TAL, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The easiest way to tell if the SX-101 is an "A" model is to look at the front panel. The earlier models have the 160 meter band and the highest frequency band is 10 meters. The last version does not have the 160 meter band but does have a converter band marked with 6-meter and 2-meter frequencies. This band actually covers 30.5 MHz to 34.5 MHz. You have to use separate receiving converters for 6-meters and 2-meters.

The SX-101 Mark IIIA did have the same bands as the SX-101A. However, the SX-101A is much more common. You really want the SX-101A to get the product detector.

Most Hammarlund HQ-170/HQ-170A do drift on the 20-meter and higher frequency bands. Some are worse than others. Hammarlund did add a separate filament transformer to the "A" model to keep the oscillator and mixer tube heaters "lit" all the time. This did help with stability. Hammarlund promoted, in their earlier advertisements, purchasing the receivers with the optional clock/timer. The ads suggested that the clock/timer be used to turn on the receiver for at least a half-hour before actually operating in order for the receiver to stabilize. This did help, but most of the receivers are still drifty on the higher bands and are very drifty on the 6-meter band.

The Heath Comanche MR-1 receiver is a very good receiver. I modified my original MR-1 to have the crystal controlled BFO like the HR-20. I loaned the original MR-1 to a former boyfriend of my eldest daughter. He moved away and took the receiver with him! I have acquired 2 "basket case" MR-1 receivers and am in the process of making a single good one using parts from each.

Glen, K9STH

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had an HQ-170A in about '70 that was pretty stable. Not like the 75A-4, but good enough; I used it mostly on VHF with converters and back in those days everyone on 432 MHz or above drifted, anyway.:p

The HQ-215 was very stable (all solid state). I had one in brand-new condition, purchased from its original owner who hardly used it. Sold it to WA1HHN (Walt) and wished I didn't -- as with many things. Walt, are you still using that?:)

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Try keeping up with an SSB signal on the 6-meter position of the HQ-170 series! They were OK on AM, but drifted way too much for SSB. When using a converter most operators used a lower band for the i.f. so drift was not that much of a problem.

The HQ-110 series was even worse!

Glen, K9STH

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember.

I used to work for Federated Electronics in NJ after school and on Saturdays in High School. We were a AAA dealer (high volume) for Clegg, Collins, Drake, Gonset, Hallicrafters, Hammarlund, Johnson, National, Regency, SBE, Swan -- all the names before anyone ever heard of Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu.:p

I sold a guy a brand new HQ-110AC (with clock). He asked why the clock. I said, "So you can set it to turn the receiver on before you want to operate, so it will be all warmed up for you."

"Oh, good...how long does that take?"

I answered, "Forever.":)

5. WB5WSV

WB5WSV Ham Member QRZ Page

Boatanchor SSB Receiver

I can recommend the National NC-155. It was my first real piece of ham gear and it worked great. With no more than 20 ft of bell wire strung in my 2nd floor studio apartment in Midwest City, I could generally hear both sides of any SSB conversation quite well (in contrast to my present circumstances with my TS-820S and a much longer dipole installed in the attic). I still have the 155; need to recap it for the second time, though.

The NC-270 is virtually the same radio but has some additional features.

I recently bought and repaired a National NC-190, and while it is nowhere near the communications receiver the 155 is, it's still a great set for fun listening.

It would be perferable to have a crystal calibrator with the 155, 190 or 270 and they are set up to take one. However, I guess if you are teaming it with a transmitter you can use that to help set the freq. The 155 and 2170 have moveable dials so you can slide it back and forth to match up with the calibrator.

Robert
    WB5WSV

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

It was a pretty useless note for the A4, very little improvement compared what is really needed. I adapted cascaded S Line with lots of attention to blowby. Basically its sealed and partitioned enclosures.

7. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

My worse receiver had all the modifications I could find. The mechanical filters seem to not have nearly the skirt depth of crystal filters. I actually got rid of the mechanical filters in my Yaesu rigs for that very reason.

8. W7TAL

W7TAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to all for the great advise and suggestions. I'm in the process of getting a Hallicrafters SX-101a I think that this will be a good receiver. Thanks to the 40M swap net for helping me locate a receiver.

9. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you'll be happy with the 101a, I've had mine for quite some time and still love the receiver. This was a high end receiver in it's time and still does a good job for it's age. I also like the sharp looks of this series of hallicrafters radios, with the big slide rule dial and the beautifully designed cabinet and front panel. It's really an eye catcher. I hope you enjoy an sx-101a as much as I have.

10. KG6UTS

KG6UTS Ham Member QRZ Page

BA SSB

I'm using two NC-300s with a B&W 5100 and 5100B. The 300 isn't 'plug and play' SSB but it is stable enough to copy well. Also...the 300 has enough bulk it won't be over shadowed by the HX-10 and they are available. Never had a Mohawk, gave away my HX-10, but kept an SB301/401 station and like it a lot.

73!
    EdZ KG6UTS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.