Bluetooth solution to interface rig?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by K6LPM, Jun 12, 2019 at 10:00 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone use or know of any type of off the shelf hardware or has repurposed any type of Bluetooth device or even has had plans to build some type of Bluetooth interface into the input of their rig ?
    I am curious of some sort of way to stream blue tooth audio between a microphone or better yet a headset for wireless communication on my HF rig.
    Some sort of Bluetooth transciever module that I can input my audio into the microphone or audio accessory jack of my icom 7300 and in semi duplex type fashion stream the audio back to my headset. The preference would be a regular wired headset that also is hooked up to it's own wireless Bluetooth module. I would assume that the vox of the rig would handle the key up transmission of the rig. A wireless manual PTT would be even more awesome. But any type of 2 way wireless stream between my transciever and a headset would prove interesting.
    I am sure somewhere others have done such things. Anyone have any experience?
    I have heard of other wireless solutions that exist too. But the Bluetooth offers possibility of many different Bluetooth consumer type communication headsets , such as those used with smart phones.

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Been down this path before and the closest thing commercially available is BT equipment made for TV sets. Mostly intended to transfer TV audio to a set of wireless BT headphones but this equipment can be hacked up and any audio input / output modified to adapt to our ham radio equipment for our purposes.

Stuff like this...

[​IMG]

This is just for the audio side of things and you will probably need to install 2 separate BT wireless interfaces for both mic and speaker audio to achieve full duplex operation.

Wireless PTT control needs to be achieved separately using a BT CAT adapter linked to a smartphone software program like Fldigi or something similar which provides for manual PTT operation from within the smartphone software.

So yes, it can work but there's nothing commercially available directly off the shelf for this purpose, so things can become a little more cumbersome.

In my case, I was trying to achieve a completely wireless digital mode interface for digital mode operation for a QRP rig using my smartphone, but there's no reason radio audio can't be used instead of transferring wireless digital audio back and forth from the rig in a wireless manner using BT.

You might be interested in this video:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 1:17 AM
    K6LPM likes this.