ad: M2Ant-1

Blue Yeti Pro & Icom 7300/9700

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KD4WYN, Dec 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD4WYN

KD4WYN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Blue Yeti Pro boom mic that has analog XLR connection capability. Does anyone have any experience with using this mic with ham radio gear? I have an Icom 7300 and 9700 that I would like to use it with assuming its compatible.

2. KD4WYN

KD4WYN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To follow up to my own question.....I also asked the question to Heil via their website and received a prompt reply;

"The Yeti Pro is a condenser mic that will require 48V phantom power. You would need to run it through a mixer or power injector to power the mic. The Icom only puts out 8VDC on its mic lead.

Hope this helps others who may have considered the Blue Yeti Pro too.

3. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm using a BM700 (also a 48Vdc phantom power microphone) package from @W2ENY that uses the 8Vdc directly from the ICOM IC-7300 with excellent results.
    In my limited research, I found reports that the 8Vdc provided by the 7300 is enough to power the 48Vdc elements in these 'generic' microphones.
    I suspect the Blue Yeti Pro has the same or similar condenser element. Give it a try and let us know.
    FWIW, I am very IMPRESSED that Heil actually responded with questions about a competitive product. That's first class.

K0UO likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

i Pro is a condenser mic that will require 48V phantom power. You would need to run it through a mixer or power injector to power the mic. The Icom only puts out 8VDC on its mic lead. That statement is true just about any little small mixture will have phantom power of 48 volts, there are a number of sources that make up cables that fit the Icom radio make sure you get one that has the blocking cap. Used the cardioid pattern
    You also need to put a cap in line to block it on those Icom radios,, there's a ton of information on qrz about it just do a service I think that microphone might sound pretty good if you supply phantom power I can get the blocking cap wired inline. Keep us posted, I've used the Blue lines at broadcast sites before and they perform pretty well.

W1TRY likes this.
  5. N9AED

N9AED Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you considered routing the audio through your computer, connecting the radio and the microphone through the PC via USB and controlling the radio via fldigi or a similar program?

I also have a Yeti and I’ve considered using it with my radios.

6. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Blue Yeti Pro mic hooked up to my computer and use it almost daily for amateur radio when I'm operating from my PC. Either using a remote web client or via the SDR software for the Flex radios I use it's been just fine. I've had it hooked up via USB some of the time and also using XLR through a Roland VT-3 that was connected via USB at other times. (I don't use the VT-3 effects for radio but instead for other purposes).

I still have conventional mics for direct connection to the SDRs and also for my non-SDR radios.