ad: w5yi

Bloated Log Files

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by AA6YQ, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread is a response to a claim by KB1NXE implying that logging applications other than HRD suffer from log bloat. Its objective is to refute that claim, at least for DXLab -- not criticize any other application. Every application can be improved in multiple dimensions.

That said, free is no excuse for low quality. I started DXLab 10 years ago in part because I was horrified by the quality of software available to amateurs; by quality, I mean "fitness for use" as well as "freedom from defects". If nothing else, I hope that DXLab has raised the bar for commercial providers.

I'm good for another 30 years, but the DXLab source code is in excellent hands should that forecast prove optimistic.

2. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

That's how I saw it when I started the TNC software. I think the difference is you, I, Simon etc are/were professional hired coders that just happend to be hams also. We code bottom up, make the base solid and then do the interface, where many hams do the 'interface' and then 'code' top down. Bleah!

Alot of code is being done by hams forced into retirement who have no software development skills, much less understand the difference in programming methodoligies. Their buddies tell them they need to put it on the market and they have no clue about how to run a business.

You mention Rational Rose or Booch to them and they'd have no clue, as they are in build and fix mode, rather than even use a basic spiral software development cycle.

And yes, I know when we get down to the last 10% it becomes build and fix, but most dont even prototype designs or follow the Windows/Web Style guidelines, or even try to make the code look like DOS!

My point was, the code is free, and the days of smaller code are long gone, due to the design of databases and the availbility of larger drives and more ram. Complaining about free is silly, but doesnt suprise me.

But again, that's no excuse for writing bloated code. Optimization has to be done no matter what the end product is.

3. AA6YQ

The "conceptual model" that users will experience is a critical architectural driver. Both Top-down and bottom-up can produce sub-optimal results. The optimal technique in my experience is round-trip gestalt, where you repetitively consider all of the drivers - from hardware to user interface - until the architecture converges. This requires continuous prototyping and iteration.

Grady and I joined Rational on the same day back in 1981; he was the marketing department, and I led the product group. Rose was Rational's breakout product from aerospace into commercial market segments, but I'm even more proud of the Unified Modeling Language and Unified Process as they've had a broader impact.

I have come to believe that allowing known defects of any severity to remain uncorrected is a mistake. DXLab serves as a laboratory for this practice: all reported defects are corrected within 24 hours, so the backlog of uncorrected defects across the entire suite hovers between 0 and 1. Among other things, it allows me to freely participate in public forums without fear of being inundated by correction requests.

4. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

Calling HRD v5 "beta" software is misleading. It's been in "beta" status for fourteen months. I suspect it will remain in beta for quite some time to come while Simon does other things.

5. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

Truth be told...

I see in a quote to another question Dave Bernstein - aa6yq is once again twisting the truth.

In this thread: http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=257776

I said: "No. HRD uses a SQL database structure and does NOT cause a bloated log file as some linear data bases can."

A linear database can also be referred to as a flat file database.

Dave also has stated that no one uses a flat database structure. Sorry, that's not true. There are many software houses using a flat database structure for several reason. A company call eIQ uses it for their logging product (1/4 million dollar retail price) as it provides audit capability in the form of check sums and other benefits. (eIQ produces a system to log computer network servers, firewalls, IPS/IDS, network hardware, and other devices and correlate events on the network producing alerts and historical trending data).

As KB3TZK has independently shown, I was correct.

I wish that Dave - aa6yq would please add me to his ignore list. I have given him the honor of being the ONLY person on mine.

It's just time to stop.

6. AA6YQ

The term linear database is meaningless.You made it up, and when caught tried to recover by claiming it was a reference to a flat file database. Next time, chose something more technically plausible.

What I said was

This is clearly a reference to amateur radio logging applications, the subject of this forum. We're not discussing network event loggers.

Absolutely not. KB3TZK presented a hypothesis as to why HRD's log database consumes five times the space of a log database generated by DXKeeper from the same ADIF file. The experiment on which he based his hypothesis is faulty, in my opinion, but that's irrelevant.

At least with respect to DXKeeper, the opposite of what you posted is true: it is HRD whose log files are five times larger.

When you stop making stuff up and posting inaccurate comparisons between HRD and other products, I'll be happy spend my time on activities more productive than exposing your fanboy fabrications.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.