Bleeding off static from a vertical

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K3RW, Jan 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W2WDX

W2WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think @N8CMQ brought up a good point. What we were originally discussing was the problem of noise from P-Static. Corona effects are created by different means, and are not mitigated the same way. I was not referring to lightning or electrostatic charge. There is a theory that says you increase the likelihood of coronal effect by DC grounding an antenna; as I suggest for mitigating rain or snow static buildup. However, where a "creeper" first reaches up during a storm is dependent on the surrounding terrain of the antenna.

2. N8CMQ

N8CMQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it does matter, as WA7ARK mentioned, if the current of the discharge has to travel into your radio and out to ground, then the noise of the current will be brought onto the radio. If the current remains at the antenna, the noise will be attenuated through the coax. A simplistic view, but it does show how noise can be attenuated, or enhanced by the path of current flow.

Another point, your antenna DC/static/lightning ground should go from the base of the antenna or tripod straight to ground as possible, this will also help reduce noise from P-static. But each install is different, and this is conjecture until the antenna is installed and used for a period of time.