Blasted HoA CC&Rs

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K3RW, Mar 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Before I respond to your question I must forewarn; please avoid the TAK-tenna; those radiate via common mode down the coax braid worse than a J-pole. There is no free lunch with any antenna and there is always a tradeoff. With STLs it is primarily bandwidth and why they need to be retuned every few kHz (but this you will soon grow accustomed to and making good QSOs will be the incentive to adjust to a slightly different way of operating.

Yes, two or three different sized loops will be best with the 936B---but two would suffice well enough. Perhaps best to start out with two loops; the small one being 8-10 feet for 10 & 12M, the second around 14-16 feet for 15-17-20 and 40. If you did three loop the 40M one could be a good deal larger like 20-30 feet in circumference---but that might be a bit cumbersome in practical terms. Remember that the loops don not have to be circular---any shape is fine and a rectangle or square will fit into a smaller space more easily than a big circle.

Try some 3/8th copper HVAC tubing available at most hardware stores/online. The bigger diameter the better but there again, I am trying to recommend practical things for you here. Larger conductors allow greater efficiency so if you choose a larger tubing size you will reap more benefits in performance.

Good luck with everything and let us know if you have more questions.

73, Jeff

2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Forgot to give you the dimensions of those various loops; one 8-10 feet long works out to a circle about 3-feet across.

14-16 feet (perfect for 15 to 20) ends up as a 5 foot circle or 4 feet square. Still manageable on a table or bench on your patio.

20-30-feet runs around a little over 6 feet to 9.5 feet in circular form, pretty large but if you have a non metallic support handy it could be done (at least for occasional serious DX work on 20-40M). If made square it would be more manageable as it works out to only 5 to 7.5 feet square.

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not true...I tried that and very quickly became a one of five minority. Not only that...the four other board members quickly isolated me within the community as "a troublemaker". My causes were not antennas...but unauthorized spending of reserve funds for the annual operating budget and painting schedules which were not reasonable. My efforts did pave the way for a group which eventually took over and corrected the problem. I did not run for re-election (it would have been futile). It has taken 10 years for the remainder of the community to forget that I was a rogue board member. That's because most have either left for assisted living or are suffering from dementia. Unfortunately that last sentence is not a joke.

AK5B likes this.
  4. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I realize that you may have posted a portion of the antenna covenant, but it is possible that the rule is in violation of OTARD. Here's a link to the FCC OTARD rule page: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/installing-consumer-owned-antennas-and-satellite-dishes

This doesn't have anything directly to do with Amateur Radio; however, many times an amateur antenna has been disguised as a TV antenna.

5. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep--my initial reading of the CC&R was 'hey that's not right'. And perhaps the CC&R is one of the old boilerplate ones they've used in many subdivisions over the years. Its not a new builder and they've built many subdivisions around here over the years, though its not a nationwide builder like DR Horton or Lennar who I would hope know better by now.

I'm thinking of submitting the CC&R to the FCC for review and comment, since they have that ability to review it if you ask them to. Ah, but you can't do that anonymously <facepalm>

From the FCC page:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule

Here's an excerpt:

Q: I want a conventional "stick" antenna to receive a distant over-the air television signal. Does the rule apply to me?

A: No. The rule does not apply to television antennas used to receive a distant signal.

--

Hmm, I'm not sure what they think 'distant' is, and if that's the practical difference between a small yagi and one of those rooftop 32el beam things with bowties, several substructures, etc. TV towers here are maybe 20 miles max. Bigger yagis and bowties and the combinations of those claim up to 70 miles.

Here's the final bit about the rule challenge:

Q: How do I file a petition or request a waiver at the Commission?

A: There is no special form for a petition. You may simply describe the facts, including the specific restriction(s) that you wish to challenge. If possible, include contact information such as telephone numbers for all parties involved, if available, and attach a copy of the restriction(s) and any relevant correspondence. If this is not possible, be sure to include the exact language of the restriction in question with the petition. General or hypothetical questions about the application or interpretation of the rule cannot be accepted as petitions.

--

One could win the FCC debate and become a problem child in the process. Not liking my options here. Far as I know, the builders still run the HOA until all construction is complete. There are 2 builders in this community and one is way behind--so that might be up to a year.

But I could argue a future az/el rotor is for FTA satellites (which it could certainly do that also), and use it just as easily for AMSATs. And get *approval* for the TV one, and use a log-periodic instead--or both. The FCC rules do not prohibit the number of antennas or types to receive a signal. So OTA and FTA signals would need two antennas. And the FTA ones still justify the use of a C-band dish for those few that do still broadcast on them. It would be silly to mount a C-dish on your house and not in your backyard, but a few sports bars here still have them up.

I hate rules, especially when you know they are already outdated but that means a headache on YOUR part.

6. KK4OBI

KK4OBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. This is a hot topic. Naturally there has been a lot of work on the subject of bending antennas to fit a limited space. If you are looking for ideas or wondering what happens if I try this or that, the QSL.net about Bent Dipoles is interesting.

More that just bending the ends of antennas for attic situations, take a look at zig-zag and multiple catenary loops to really shorten a resonant wire with the least loss in performance.

http://www.qsl.net/kk4obi/Center-fed Dipole selection.html

7. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out a ccd antenna. it can be mounted on top of your fence with good results. maybe have to make your own but its on the web.
    I to live in HOA but so far no body has said any thing about my 18AVQ hy-gain traped vertical. SO FAR. Good luck ae7xg