Blank display on a Kenwood TH-F6

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K7FR, Aug 17, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7FR

K7FR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone experienced the display going blank on a Kenwood TH-F6? I got this unit from a friend who was liquidating their ex's left over radios. It worked fine up until a couple of days ago. It still works fine except for the blank display.

It didn't get dropped so I'm ruling out a loose connection for now. Plus no matter which way I whack on it nothing changes. Without a display it's kind of a small boat anchor.

2. K7FR

As is with all Menehunes (Hawaiian imps that cause mischief) the display has magically reappeared. No idea why......

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a "WAG," but check the battery and/or battery connections. Is there any sign of corrosion, dirt, etc.?

4. K7FR

The odd part was that the rest of the radio worked just fine. I did do a cleanup of the contacts which may have helped. Between this and the TM-V7A I'm working on I'm sensing that in the era these radios came out Kenwood was slipping. I asked around to some commercial 2 way buddies and they tell me that even the commercial line sucked then too. Quality issues.

5. KI5PLE

KI5PLE Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on the block diagram in the TH-F6 service manual, I would suspect the connection between the processor board and display. If a flex/ribbon cable is used to connect the two, I would carefully unplug it and then clean the terminals. If that doesn't fix it, consider swapping in a known good display as component failure is a possibility.

The service manual copyright date is 2001. Kenwood turned a corner with the TK-x90 series in the mid/late 90s but some less-than-great stuff like the TK-x80 portables stuck around for a while.

6. K7FR

I have the service manual for it and that was where I was going to start when it magically started displaying again. If it returns to its contrarian ways I'll look at that. That may be the reason that the right side of the display has the "band" vertically through it. I can live with that problem....for now. Its only other problem is that the rubber "light" button is gone so I have to use a pen to turn the display illumination on. Parts are totally unavailable. Even dead ones have price tags like a used car.

Working on old hi-tach stuff is far more frustrating than working on old low tech stuff. I just buttoned up a TS-520 that a friend got for a bit of nothing. I replaced the peanut meter lights with LED's, plugged in a new 12BY7A, and balanced the 6146's and like magic it's back to life.