ad: wmr-1

Blackmail on CQ WW Contest Comittee

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4L5A, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6ZRH

K6ZRH Ham Member QRZ Page

CALL SIGN FOR RENT

Can I post " CALL SIGN FOR RENT?"
    - Any station must comply with the rules. IARU has the reciprocal agreement for the convenience of all signatories. We understand that getting a permission to operate outside the U.S, even if there's a reciprocal agreement between two countries is sometimes a pain in the butt. Local authorities in any countries are not always aware about the reciprocal agreement. A local police, mayor, congressman, senator in Colombia, Venezuela, Cuba etc.. are not aware what is all about amateur radio.
    When you boarded a plane to your destination outside the U.S, upon your arrival in any country, if anyone seeing you erecting a tower with antennas and radios, you are getting a passers-by attention thinking that you are doing a military operation of some sort, and you will be reported to a local police, and then the problem will start. You will be ask the 5 W's and you will try to explain that you are a ham- local people will say " WHAT is THAT?"

>K6ZRH

2. K1QX

K1QX Ham Member QRZ Page

Blackmail

I'm still trying to figure out who is being "blackmailed?"

3. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

THIS IS NOT NEWS AND DOES NOT BELONG HERE!

From the standpoint of this being a newsworthy item deserving front page attention -- it is NOT! This is opinion by 4L5A and really should be treated as such.

News is "Who, what, when, where and how" as fully corroborated with factual evidence prior to publication. Past that its opinion and until the facts are corroborated. Therefore, as 4L5A has not presented any corroborated this entire matter cannot be construed as anything other than his opinion.

Also, this is a privately sponsored event. As such it is up to the judges and only the judges to decide eligability. 4L5A and anyone else has the right to file a letter of that asks the judges to take note of what he preceives as a violattion of the contest rules and to provide evidence, but thats where it ends.

If and when this matter is resolved by the person or persons judging the event it becomes a fait de complais. Until that happens this is naught but one ham radio operators opinion.

Also, where is there any "blackmail" involved? The legal definitions of the term "blackmail" are:

1. Extortion of money or something else of value from a person by the threat of exposing a criminal act or discreditable information.

2. Something of value extorted in this manner.

3. Tribute formerly paid to freebooters along the Scottish border for protection from pillage.

With all due respect to 4L5A, unless he can conclusively prove that those involved in the operation paid tribute (extortion monies) to the contest sponsor(s) I would strongly suggest that he retract the use of that term. By using it without providing proof that "blackmail" in the legal sense has occurred he places himself and the owners of this website into legal jeopardy should those he accuses and/or the contest sponsors deem his remarks to be libelous, slanderous or in legal "bad light."

Far to much in the way of opinion is being given credibility as being newsworthy. Separating opinion from fact is something that we in the media are quite concerned about. You should be too.

And as my old -- now departed friend George Putnam used to say: 'Thats this reporters opinion. I welcome yours."

Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF

4. KB9UMI

KB9UMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Blackmail CQ WW CC Comittee

:mad: I Could Not Agree More Disqualify Them!!! Our Rules Should Not Be Broken Without being Punished We Are Self POLICING !!!!!:cool:

5. MZ8A

MZ8A Ham Member QRZ Page

MZ8A

If I would let another ham rent (or use) my location and station (and call)
    I would ask to show me the operators valid U.K. (or reciprocal) licence.
    Is there no licence the operation is ILLEGAL !
    Where is the problem ?
    Hans
    MZ8A / SHETLAND

6. W5ALT

W5ALT Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually I can see eastern Colombia out of my window right now and I do make sure I operate within the law where ever I do operate.

Walt, W5ALT

7. W5ALT

The actual text in Spanish reads:
    Sounds pretty clear to me, not much room for interpretation and the translation is accurate.

The entire HK rules are here if you read Spanish.

Walt, W5ALT

8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the link. Well, it does look like they regulations are picky about who uses the callsign:

It sounds like the guy should have been ID'ing with his own callsign and the words "operating from" the host's callsign.

BTW, I think we worked before, if you had a different call several years ago! I was /YV.

9. 4L5A

4L5A QRZ Lifetime Member #68 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Dear Friends,
    That words of HK3CQ I call blackmail:
    "The situation is so severe that many have said they will no longer participate in CQWW contests until the committee takes action."

Now look on that advertizement made by his friend
    http://ar.groups.yahoo.com/group/wwsatest/message/130
    Do you see any word that you need to apply for license to operate from this station? He is talking about keyer etc and now LU1DZ is start compaign against contesters from other countries
    Look on that:
    Its interesting did Colombian law is allowing that?
    Call: 5K5Z
    Operator(s): W4OI
    Station: HK3CQ

Class: SOSB/20 LP
    QTH: Colombia
    Operating Time (hrs): 26

Summary:
    Band QSOs Zones Countries
    ------------------------------
    160:
    80:
    40:
    20: 1585 36 118
    15:
    10:
    ------------------------------
    Total: 1585 36 118 Total Score = 750,000
    Its CQ WW CW 2004

According to QRZ.COM 5K5Z is belong to:

Gary McClellan,3422 E Altadena Ave,Phoenix, USA

That clearly show how HK3CQ is following own country rules Propably he need to send complain about his self also to CQ WW CC and to Ministry of Communication of Colombia

Its very clear for what HK3CQ is fighting for and I have confirmation of it
    73 Al 4L5A

10. 4L5A

4L5A QRZ Lifetime Member #68 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Im happy Hans MZ8A is say very right things
    We are all forgeting about responsibility of station owner
    Its very simple if for example I become crazy and will allow terrorist to use my station who will be responsible for that?
    Or then HK3CQ will send letter to Usama asking him to DQ him :)
    Its just dirty game and for what HK3CQ is fighting for its clearly showed by his qrz.com profile
    LU5DX Martin is send emails to 10 most active HK contesters and 7 of them is comeback to him and say that they are not supporting what HK3CQ and LU1DZ is doing
    If HK3CQ is dont know his own rules or not follow it before then he need to organize his self first and then asking to DQ people and specially for past contests also

Hans Thank you very much for multipliers in many contests MM0XAU is unforgetable call but now its even easier to remember MZ8A
    Thanks
    73 Al 4L5A/D4B

11. HK3CW

HK3CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Too much blabber, not much truth

All this thread has gone out of hand. Let me clarify.
    1) The CQWW contest committee has asked for an official response from the Colombian Ministry of Communications. The Ministry has not provided it's response until it makes its own investigation, give it time to make their own decision. It would be utterly irresponsible for a Ministry to act on something without making it's own research. It is a lie that the Ministry has declined action or not replied.
    2) No it's not blackmail...that is ridiculous! Simply, HK hams are very concerned that the CQWW has not taken action against the offenders and have concerns about future participation, if rules are not strictly followed. Where is the blackmail?
    3) If you operate form Colombia you are are obligated to comply with Colombian ham rules, laws from the US, Kenya or Switzerland have absolutely no force in Colombia.
    Speculation is king, facts talk for themselves, lets stick to the facts!
    73 de HK3CW Rob

12. W5ALT

Yep, it sounds like at best he wasn't ID'ing properly and at worst he wasn't properly licensed for operation in HK. As mentioned by HK3CW, it's up to the Colombian Ministry to determine how stringent their rules are.

I think I remember working you several years ago. Maybe 40m and you were in Caracas? My old call was KE5WJ and I was operating YV1/KE5WJ. Or is my memory bad?

Walt, W5ALT

13. HK3CW

HK3CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your missing the correct info

The fact are:
    1) The russian operator never applied for an HK license
    2) He (the adjective is right) hijacked the "HK3RA" call for himself thinking that nobody would notice and used it abusively, without the knowledge of the real license holder - HK3RA, who does not know the code or participates in contests.
    3) The year prior, Mr. Kurykov used the license lent by him by HK1AR (a known ebay scammer, W4OI). That was the first time he acted illegally.
    So why did this all happen to come about? HK hams began an investigation over a strange HK3RA call in the contest and other illegal operations began surfacing, not strangely, all endorsed by HK1AR. His need for cash has led him to "rent" his station, without any regard to HK ham regulations.
    We in Colombia will not tolerate illegal operations, even if we are going to be subjected to false accusations and condemnation from people that do not know the facts and simply judge without knowing what really happened, like Mr. 4L5A! Who way from in the middle of nowhere says he knows the truth..what a bunch of BS.
    73 de HK3CW Rob

14. KG4UXR

KG4UXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets see what we have here. N9AMI is saying lets not make a big deal out of this. well i wounder how he and others with the same attetude would feel if all of a sudden there call was up for grabs on ebay for example. now thats a thought.
    73's all
    dave

15. KA1MDA

KA1MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the big deal about renting or using someone else's license? Heck, it's done thousands of times a day in the US by illegal aliens.. drivers licenses, social security numbers, voter ID's.. thousands of such transactions occur in the US every day. Must only be an issue if radio is involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.